Webley Experts - MKIII production dates?

jethunter

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Super GunNutz
Rating - 100%
359   0   0
Location
Central AB
OK - I know that only the first few thousand MKIII service Webleys were made in 1897 and qualify for antique status. But what about manufacture dates of later MKIIIs?

I am looking for the date of manufacture for a MKIII s/n 9317. Anyone have a reference for manufacture dates for the MKIII by serial number or manufacturing quantities per calendar year, etc.?

Appreciate any insight you guys have. Thanks!
 
Last edited:
I have never found such data. It is not in the Webley reference book I have.
I would guess it wouldn't be much after 1900, though. Webley was a serious business, and did manufacture in quantity.
 
There's no MKIII production data by year in my reference either.

Roughly 80,000 MKIII service revolvers were made from 1897-1899. Would be nice to know the production figures per year.
 
I Have a MKIII Lost or Stollen in the USA right now its a Comercial Model in the low 2000s Ser # its a Perscribed antique.
Its Shiped from CA to WI so not even shiped international. just local Priority mail.

I think the cut off used is around 4600 for any MKIII in Canada but dont use that exact # as fact its close tho.
I have my Shipper starting a search this next week. never lost a gun yet but everyone has a frist sooner or later. :(
It was Insured so it will be intresting to know if USPS pays out if they cant find it.
 
I Have a MKIII Lost or Stollen in the USA right now its a Comercial Model in the low 2000s Ser # its a Perscribed antique.
Its Shiped from CA to WI so not even shiped international. just local Priority mail.

I think the cut off used is around 4600 for any MKIII in Canada but dont use that exact # as fact its close tho.
I have my Shipper starting a search this next week. never lost a gun yet but everyone has a frist sooner or later. :(
It was Insured so it will be intresting to know if USPS pays out if they cant find it.

That sucks. CP misplaced a MO on me for 3 weeks once. They found it as soon as it was reported missing. Maybe you'll be that lucky too. Good think it's Priority mail, so they are tracking it in the system.
 
If it's any help, the MkIV service revolver was sealed for service on 21 July 1899. Commercial production would be slightly earlier.
Saying that, just about all MkIII's would be classified antiques
 
I know priority is supose to scan but thats the problem it never scaned at pick up and nothing since.
the Post office blamed it on someithing about not being a green lable or some such crap as to it not scanning!
It was sent the Priority mail second size flat rate box with full insurance.
Id much rather have the gun than the insurance money tho.

Our Cut off up here is for sure under # 5000 but how right that is who knows not alot of info to go on.
 
Last edited:
If it's any help, the MkIV service revolver was sealed for service on 21 July 1899. Commercial production would be slightly earlier.
Saying that, just about all MkIII's would be classified antiques

Thanks. I have the "Webley Revolver" book which told me there were somewhere around 80,000 MKIII revolvers made from 1897 to 1899. Our own RCMP CFC says that only the first few thousand were made in 1897, leaving about 75,000 MKIII revolvers made in 1898-1899. This revolver s/n 931x is most probably made in 1898, but I haven't found any reference to prove it yet. The info is for an American collector/friend, for whom 1898 IS still a good year.
 
Back
Top Bottom