PCMR Marlin

Win Shooter

Regular
Rating - 100%
230   0   0
Location
BC
This isn't exacly an antique, or black powder, but the opinions expressed here are likely more relevant. I have an opportunity to buy this gun, what would be an honest opinion of its value?
4 digit serial number, model 1936 PCMR Marlin with a lot of case-hardened colour and a mint bore.

ralph_28009.jpg

ralph_28008.jpg

ralph_28007.jpg

ralph_28006.jpg

ralph_28005.jpg

ralph_28004.jpg

ralph_28003.jpg

ralph_28002.jpg

ralph_28001.jpg

ralph_28012.jpg

ralph_28010.jpg


Thanks
Doug
 
I recall a rack of Marlins exactly like this at Hallam's on Yonge Street in Toronto in the 60s. Same sort of condition. They had been recently surplussed. They were not PCMR, but another federal gov't dept, maybe Mines and Technical Surveys, IIRC. I have heard of PCMR Marlins, but have no idea how to establish if one is, or is not. Provenance?
That is still a very nice 36.
 
PCMR rifles

I haven't seen a PCMR Marlin, but have seen PCMR Winchester 94s. They have had PCMR branded on the Butt Stock.

It is quite possible that the Marlin was used by the Militia Units. I have seen pictures of Savage 99 rifles with PCMR markings. At the time, with a Japanese appearance on the West Coast in people's minds, anything that could shoot would have been considered. I have 30-30 and 250-3000 cartridges loaded by CIL with full metal jacket bullets.

Even our Military was poorly prepared. Armed with Ross Rifles, but only a few rounds of ammunition for each one, if the Japanese had landed, the orders were "Fire your five rounds, then run."

Some of the Marlin collectors would have much better information.
.
 
The Marlin Model 1936 PCMR rifle are a bit more rarer then the Winchester 1894 SRC. They are talked about in Brophy's book on Marlins , page 597. I have seen a few of these over the years and have one in my collection. The Model 1936 is a rare gun to start with and with the PCMR markings make it even more collectable. The price on these should be holding their own with the PCMR Winchesters but tend to run 10 to 20% less then the W gun.
 
PCMR Markings.

All Win. Model 94's were stamped on the left side of the receiver. Marlins for some reason, stamped on the right. Stampings in 3 places, buttstock, receiver, forestock. Nice find!
 
The Marlin Model 1936 PCMR rifle are a bit more rarer then the Winchester 1894 SRC. They are talked about in Brophy's book on Marlins , page 597. I have seen a few of these over the years and have one in my collection. The Model 1936 is a rare gun to start with and with the PCMR markings make it even more collectable. The price on these should be holding their own with the PCMR Winchesters but tend to run 10 to 20% less then the W gun.

The Winchesters are not Saddle Ring Carbines.

The interesting part of this excecise in the discovery that the book is wrong. The Marlin M.1936 was produced from @ 1936-1942ish. Previous research claimed that they were only marked as 1936's during 1936 production, becoming M.36's in 1937.

The OP is really lucky as I was only previously aware of the M.1936A model being purchased from Marlin ~ sometimes wondered why no Marlin carbines, but didn't really worry about it.

Seen M.94, M.64 Winchesters, and the Marlin M.1936A equivelent, but never a Marlin carbine...
 
Saddle ring PCMR

The Winchesters are not Saddle Ring Carbines.

The interesting part of this excecise in the discovery that the book is wrong. The Marlin M.1936 was produced from @ 1936-1942ish. Previous research claimed that they were only marked as 1936's during 1936 production, becoming M.36's in 1937.

The OP is really lucky as I was only previously aware of the M.1936A model being purchased from Marlin ~ sometimes wondered why no Marlin carbines, but didn't really worry about it.

Seen M.94, M.64 Winchesters, and the Marlin M.1936A equivelent, but never a Marlin carbine...

Saddle -ring Win. model 94's were issued to Rangers.
 
The Winchesters are not Saddle Ring Carbines.

The interesting part of this excecise in the discovery that the book is wrong. The Marlin M.1936 was produced from @ 1936-1942ish. Previous research claimed that they were only marked as 1936's during 1936 production, becoming M.36's in 1937.

The OP is really lucky as I was only previously aware of the M.1936A model being purchased from Marlin ~ sometimes wondered why no Marlin carbines, but didn't really worry about it.

Seen M.94, M.64 Winchesters, and the Marlin M.1936A equivelent, but never a Marlin carbine...

I have never seen a PCMR 94 SRC marked myself, I was just typing to fast when I stated SRC. I have seen another 1936 carbine and I have a 1936 Sporting Carbine and 1936 Rife that are PCMR marked.
DSC01485.jpg

DSC01486.jpg

DSC01487.jpg

DSC03156.jpg

DSC03158.jpg

DSC03159.jpg
 
Even our Military was poorly prepared. Armed with Ross Rifles, but only a few rounds of ammunition for each one, if the Japanese had landed, the orders were "Fire your five rounds, then run."


.[/QUOTE]

Baloney, the military on the West Coast was better equipped than our soldiers at war. I have pictures from 1942 taken at the RCAF flying boat stations. All No.4's in the hands of the Army guys there, and Stens and Brens, as well.

The most common rifle in the PCMR seems to have been the US M1917, at least on the Queen Charlotte Islands. I have seen no Marlins, either in pictures, or in person. Quite a few Winchester 94's, though. Never seen a PCMR 94 with a saddle ring, and don't expect to. The saddle ring was discontinued before the PCMR was formed.

A few PCMR's got the old Ross rifles, but they don't seem to have been common. In fact, I know of only one, and the fellow that had it was very disgusted, as everyone else in his unit got M1917's, which he said appeared to be brand new.

There was never a shortage of ammo, and the rangers amused themselves by shooting seals, sea lions, and gulls. One fellow told me of how they would all open up on the sea lions, which were sun bathing on an island, every time they went by in their boat. The RCAF Cansos would also strafe them, and even drop bombs on them for practice! :eek:
 
Even our Military was poorly prepared. Armed with Ross Rifles, but only a few rounds of ammunition for each one, if the Japanese had landed, the orders were "Fire your five rounds, then run."


.

Baloney, the military on the West Coast was better equipped than our soldiers at war. I have pictures from 1942 taken at the RCAF flying boat stations. All No.4's in the hands of the Army guys there, and Stens and Brens, as well.

The most common rifle in the PCMR seems to have been the US M1917, at least on the Queen Charlotte Islands. I have seen no Marlins, either in pictures, or in person. Quite a few Winchester 94's, though. Never seen a PCMR 94 with a saddle ring, and don't expect to. The saddle ring was discontinued before the PCMR was formed.

A few PCMR's got the old Ross rifles, but they don't seem to have been common. In fact, I know of only one, and the fellow that had it was very disgusted, as everyone else in his unit got M1917's, which he said appeared to be brand new.

There was never a shortage of ammo, and the rangers amused themselves by shooting seals, sea lions, and gulls. One fellow told me of how they would all open up on the sea lions, which were sun bathing on an island, every time they went by in their boat. The RCAF Cansos would also strafe them, and even drop bombs on them for practice! :eek:[/QUOTE]

My father was a logger on Vancouver Island. The logging camp became a "Ranger Company". Issue weapons were Win. Model 94's, Mk.2 Stens, and 1 Bren gun. Ammunition was Remington 160gr.FMJ. Every ranger was issued two boxes, bring back the empties, you received 2 more. Looking through 1942 -1943 issues of "The Ranger", there are pictures of rangers at the firing line using saddle ring carbines. Personally, I have never seen a broad arrow "C" stamp on a saddle-ring. I sold a stamped model 64. Never seen PCMR stamped rifles, just licence plates! The Fishermans Reserve had .50 Brownings mounted on some of the faster boats. At wars end my father had the option of purchasing his issue 94 for $5.
 
Nice rifle Doug...I honestly had to run down to the gun room to make sure mine is still on the rack. I have its twin right down to the lightly struck marking on the receiver. I purchased mine in about 2007 at auction for $650. Given a choice between a Win and mine I wouldn't be making any transfer calls, not sure about the price difference between the two or why there should be any not that it matters to me as I have no plans to sell in my life time. Good luck,
Blair
 
Back
Top Bottom