What .32 .36 cals are out there?

Rickyy101

CGN Regular
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Location
Ottawa
Reading up on black powder rifles has been my hobby lately and I've come to learn that there are indeed other cals out there instead of the .50 and .54, namely the .32 and .36 :D I haven't really come across any info on them here so I was wondering what models there are out there!
 
i've got a .32 T/C Cherokee and we love it. My wife will only shoot this gun. Took years to find balls only to find out you can shoot 00 buckshot. Not legal for big game most places but it will suprise you what 60 grns fffg will do. Most gun dealers don't believe i own one unless i show it to them. They just aren't around.
 
You don't see many small bore BP rifles up here and I never did find one for sale on the used market. I have a Traditions "Davey Crockett" model .32, new about a year ago. Bought locally from our local outfitter shop who special ordered it in. We also have a percussion .45 Traditions Hawken woodsman and a 35 year old Lyman trade Flintlock rifle in .45. other than that all our smokepoles are either .50 or .54.
 
Last edited:
I had a 32 CVA "squirrel gun" for the grandkids to shoot. It had a very loud "crack" when you fired it, even with only 10 grns of powder in it. They didn't enjoy shooting it at all. traded it off and got them a 45.
Cheers nessy
 
I had a 32 CVA "squirrel gun" for the grandkids to shoot. It had a very loud "crack" when you fired it, even with only 10 grns of powder in it. They didn't enjoy shooting it at all. traded it off and got them a 45.
Cheers nessy

mind if i ask where you got it from?

and would a .45 not be too much for small game hunting? which is what i would be using it for
 
Not at all, I picked it up on the E/E, came from the East Coast , pprox 30 yrs old. they haven't made them for a long time.32 are dirty little buggers, IIRC I had to clean between shots. I've seen a few for sale at traditionalmuzzleloading forum.com
I don't hunt :eek: but I'm sure 45 would be good for small game, easier to find a 45 also.
I have a 40 cal Lancaster 42" barrel flintlock that I LOVE to shoot, some say the 40's have the flattest trajectory in roundball, but I'm guessing it it might be a bit to small, I'm sure the guys that hunt would know better.
have you thought about building one from a kit ?
Cheers nessy.
 
I have many many boxes of .375 round balls that are unopened. Not even sure what cal they are for...........would guess a .38 but possibly a .40. Anybody familiar with them? They are available........and they make great slingshot ammo.
 
You will find a lot more small calibres in Ontario and East.They shoot a lot more paper targets .I took my .40 to the HeffelyCreek rendezvous and was whacking the big iron silhouettes, making them rock but could not knock them down.My .50 does.
 
Lots of 32/40s and 38/55s both original and repros, even .30 cals. and .35s such as the Maynard, plenty of .40s making the comeback too, the 40/82 and the silhouette std. the 40/65 Win.
 
I have many many boxes of .375 round balls that are unopened. Not even sure what cal they are for...........would guess a .38 but possibly a .40. Anybody familiar with them? They are available........and they make great slingshot ammo.

I do believe my dads old cap N ball remington slugs @375" it is actually a .36,5 shot police model. The second cylinder takes 36rimfire!
 
For anyone shooting one of these dirty little buggers I've had excellant luck with triple seven fffg. Instead of cleaning every shot I can clean at the end of the day. Wonderlube patches might be helping but they sure don't when I use black.
 
.375 ball is for the .36 revolver as mentioned before, but also for .38 rifles, which I think is the absolute best calibre. I shot a custom-made .38 half-stock flint longrifle in West-by-God-Virginia, and it was the feline's posterior! I just bought a really nice .36 T/C Seneca off the EE for $250. You just have to look and be patient. They are fun, BTW!
 
Back
Top Bottom