Questions about 2 antiques, shotgun and Webley

Sardaukar

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
31   0   0
I've got 2 antiques I intend to shoot soon, and I have a few questions.

First, a ML 12ga shotgun, percussion. I intended to just go to the local hunting supply store and ask for some Fg or FFg BP, for an antique shotgun. The guy pretty much told me to go back home, do my reaserch and come back with the exact name of the powder I want, and then he could help me(i.e. go get it in the back and sell it to me). It seems that 'I want BP for an antique shotgun' is too complicated, and he could not give me advice. Not impressed. Let's just say I didn't ask about the caps...

So I turn to you my beloved CGN. I thought I would find that info in the Blackpowder FAQ sticky, but it's just 5 pages of bullet lube recipes.:confused:

Are there that many types of Fg BP? What would do for a 150 years old shotgun?


Next, is there a source for replacement grips for a Webley MkI, preferably wood grips? I just think it would look good, and I would store the original ones where nothing will happen to them. Luckily, the aforementionned clerk had Unique powder at hand so at least I got that, but I didn't venture about asking for primers.

Now i'm wondering, what exactly should I ask for if 'large pistol primer' or 'primers for 45acp' is not enough info for the guy?
 
Last edited:
I've got 2 antiques I intend to shoot soon, and I have a few questions.

First, a ML 12ga shotgun, percussion. I intended to just go to the local hunting supply store and ask for some Fg or FFg BP, for an antique shotgun. The guy pretty much told me to go back home, do my reaserch and come back with the exact name of the powder I want, and then he could help me(i.e. go get it in the back and sell it to me). It seems that 'I want BP for an antique shotgun' is too complicated, and he could not give me advice. Not impressed. Let's just say I didn't ask about the caps...

So I turn to you my beloved CGN. I thought I would find that info in the Blackpowder FAQ sticky, but it's just 5 pages of bullet lube recipes.:confused:

Are there that many types of Fg BP? What would do for a 150 years old shotgun?


Next, is there a source for replacement grips for a Webley MkI, preferably wood grips? I just think it would look good, and I would store the original ones where nothing will happen to them. Luckily, the aforementionned clerk had Unique powder at hand so at least I got that, but I didn't venture about asking for primers.

Now i'm wondering, what exactly should I ask for if 'large pistol primer' or 'primers for 45acp' is not enough info for the guy?

I know of four grades of BP . Single F to 4 F . For rifle or shotgun 2F is the normal grade.
Measure by volume , not weight. Start with 40 grains , and work up the loads till results are satisfactory.
Have fun...:)
 
Before you shoot your antique shotgun, make darn sure it is in shootable condition.
F or FF powder would be the best choices for a shotgun; FFF has been used, but pressures will be higher.
An easy way of loading a shotgun is to use equal volumes of shot and powder. If you have a measure that holds 1 oz of shot, the same measure would hold a suitable charge of powder. You can experiment for best patterns. Sometimes increasing the shot a bit without increasing the powder will give better patterns.
 
Before you shoot your antique shotgun, make darn sure it is in shootable condition.
F or FF powder would be the best choices for a shotgun; FFF has been used, but pressures will be higher.
An easy way of loading a shotgun is to use equal volumes of shot and powder. If you have a measure that holds 1 oz of shot, the same measure would hold a suitable charge of powder. You can experiment for best patterns. Sometimes increasing the shot a bit without increasing the powder will give better patterns.

Good stuff. I got the shotgun checked out by a gunsmith, since it came to me with the left barrel loaded. From the US. It could have been loaded for 40 years as far as I knew. The gunsmith said it was all right, but of course to keep the loads on the light side considering her old age.


Now I have another question that comes to my mind. On the Webley, the screw on which the whole thing hinges gets very loose very easily, but if I thighten it the gun becomes very stiff to open. Am I just overthinking, is it perfectly normal?
 
Check that the hinge pin is in properly, it goes in from the right side and has a little tab that seats in a notch in the hole to prevent it from turning. If the tab isnt in the notch or if someone put the pin in from the other side the pin wont seat all the way and could get loose easily.
 
Now that I look at it, it does seem like the pin is about .5mm from being completely seated. I can fit my nail between the pin head and the frame. Thanks for the info.
 
Back
Top Bottom