Brass Plug In Old Shot Gun Stock?

getsomegetsome

New member
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Location
Southern Alberta
Recently I have been restoring an old 10 gauge shot gun. I can't help but wonder about the history behind the brass circle/plug on the bottom of the stock. Is its purpose purely a name plate or was it used in the manufacturing process?

I have not been successful in finding any information online.

Can any of you wiser dudes out there give a green horn a history lesson?
 
Recently I have been restoring an old 10 gauge shot gun. I can't help but wonder about the history behind the brass circle/plug on the bottom of the stock. Is its purpose purely a name plate or was it used in the manufacturing process?

If it is the one that I am thinking of, it is for the owners initials or for a number indicating which gun of a pair the gun is. Most that I have seen were blank and just appear to have been put there out of custom.

cheers mooncoon
 
Back
Top Bottom