Antique shotgun

adb

Member
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Location
Saskatoon, SK.
Greetings,

I have two quick questions:

1. Where can I obtain 2.5" 12 gauge shot shells?

2. Can anyone reccommend a good gunsmith for restoration of SXS British shotuns? Stock refinishing in particular.
 
i do not think that 12guage shotguns fall into the antique class regardless of how old they are.as for shells the europeans probably make them.perhaps you could obtain brass shells and reload them.
 
Much less hassle to cut down regular shotshells and reload them at 2 1/2", it can be done without fancy equipment, I've loaded thousands of them but only with black powder, for my old English Damascus.
 
Kent / Gamebore makes them and they are readilly availlable (Epps keeps it), so does Sellier & Bellot, but they're not as common here.

I too, load with BP, but not always.

Maybe a mod can move this thread to the right section.
 
Me too. :) I would like a BP short shot shell recipe. I figured a Black Powder Damascus William Parkhurst 12ga from 1800 and something was antique enough too. Regardless of CFO regulations. Sorry for misposting. I too started a similar thread.
 
Much less hassle to cut down regular shotshells and reload them at 2 1/2", it can be done without fancy equipment, I've loaded thousands of them but only with black powder, for my old English Damascus.
I have an old side by side hammer lock that is a 12 Ga 2 & 1/2". I did what Ben said, and found it to be quite straight forward.
 
Use plastic empties cut down to 2 1/2", deprime with a spike, reprime on hard flat surface with dowel and hammer. Use 80 grains of ffg (3 dram),this next step takes a bit of trial and error, use a wad column of card wad and then felt on top of that and then either 1 oz. or 1 1/8 oz. of shot. There must be a 1/4" of case mouth left over for you to roll crimp with a roll crimper that attaches to your drill or better still, drill press. This crimper is avail. from Wil Bilozar in Alta. as well as many us retailers such as Precision reloading, etc. There you are, reloading for 12 ga. 2 1/2" with equipment investment of about $15..........don't hesitate to post if you have questions or problems...Ben
 
What about using more modern plastic wads instead of card and felt. I like the advantages of a cup.
Do you need a card board cap to close up the shell for the roll crimping process?
 
I wouldn't use plastic cup wads with black powder.
A card top wad is used with a roll crimp.
I took a scrap 12ga barrel, and cut the chamber off at 2 1/2". Run the shell in, cut it off flush. Fast and easy.
Made wadcutters on the lathe to use in the drill press, cut wads from card and sheet cork.
Adjust the load length, top wad, and roll crimp. I use an antique crank type roll crimper.
 
I will probably make a drill press crimper while I'm making the whole saw for the wads. I'm thinking about using a pipe since I don't have a spare barrel lying around I wish to chop up......unless my barrel sleeve plays a dual function?.....hmm
 
I use an old Lee hand loader kit (the hammer method). One question for Ben .... is it useful to pour a bit of candle wax into the crimp to seal it against moisture? I have not tried it, but am wondering about it.
 
well I'm roll crimping it(with the card wad on top), so i don't do any further sealing. I use hot glue when doing up brass cases, and would use wax if I was using fold crimp(6 or 8 seg.)
 
I got my 12 ga. Brass 2 1/2" cases from elwood epps, they are made in brazil, and i think they were $35/25.
Will sells them as well, in all gauges.
I do not use anything on my roll crimps either.
I've used antique rollers, the drill press jobs, as well as the lee hand tool, and I really like the lee for the paper hulls.

I prefer to shoot brass cases however.
i seal mine with a squirt of Tremclad glue!:)
Cat
 
Back
Top Bottom