USPS Sends Antique gun to US Customs not Canada

dingus

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 98.9%
363   4   0
Location
B.C
Well this is a frist for me ever,,,
I just checked the tracking # on a nice S&W DA 44 Russian and some wacko at USPS sent the gun to US customs instead of Canada Customs.
this is why i always use RCMP Antique letters it should help when US customs get the parcel.

will post info on how this mess turns out.
 
Last edited:
Looks like there are chimps on both sides of the border. I'll be interested to hear what comes of it. Antiques are not regulated (was told this directly by BATF), so there should not be any problem at all (in theory).
 
Looks like there are chimps on both sides of the border. I'll be interested to hear what comes of it. Antiques are not regulated (was told this directly by BATF), so there should not be any problem at all (in theory).

Thats what i thought.
I only posted this to see if its happened to others im not that concerned + i have a RCMP Letter with it.
I will post what happens tho.
I think the parcel was handled by some usps chimp liberal postal worker who THINKs they know whats right.

I will post pics once i have the gun......
 
It's happened to me. I had an antique that went through US Customs before it got back in the USPS system and onward to me in Canada.

Maybe they picked it up in an x-ray or maybe it was just an export spot check. Exporting firearms from the USA without any permits is illegal of course. Antiques are another story, they are classified as non-firearms and not subject to fireams export regulations. Anyway it spent a day in US Customs and then went back to USPS and on to Canada. I guess they recognised it was antique and therefore a legal shipment and let it go.
 
It's happened to me. I had an antique that went through US Customs before it got back in the USPS system and onward to me in Canada.

Maybe they picked it up in an x-ray or maybe it was just an export spot check. Exporting firearms from the USA without any permits is illegal of course. Antiques are another story, they are classified as non-firearms and not subject to fireams export regulations. Anyway it spent a day in US Customs and then went back to USPS and on to Canada. I guess they recognised it was antique and therefore a legal shipment and let it go.

Thanks Jethunter thats what i was hopeing to hear someone like yourself going thru this before.
I Checked and the shipper declared the contents and the RCMP letter is in there so i cant see doing any better than that.
 
Thanks Jethunter thats what i was hopeing to hear someone like yourself going thru this before.
I Checked and the shipper declared the contents and the RCMP letter is in there so i cant see doing any better than that.

You're fine. If it's antique in Canada it is also antique in the US, so they have no reason to hold it. I expect they'll release it as soon as they realise it's a legal antique and the RCMP letter should nudge them in the right direction.
 
So...let me get this strait, you can buy antiques in the USA and have them shipped here, with no export regulations? Is this correct? :confused:

Did you get a great deal on it? Or are their prices somewhat on par with ours as far as antiques go?
 
So...let me get this strait, you can buy antiques in the USA and have them shipped here, with no export regulations? Is this correct? :confused:
That is correct. I've done it four times and some people on this board have done it more times than you can shake a stick at. I even talked personally to BATF about it. The person told me antiques are not regulated either in or out of the country. I can ship them from Canada to the US directly or vice versa. The downside is the GST and PST you pay at Canada Customs.
 
That is correct. I've done it four times and some people on this board have done it more times than you can shake a stick at. I even talked personally to BATF about it. The person told me antiques are not regulated either in or out of the country. I can ship them from Canada to the US directly or vice versa. The downside is the GST and PST you pay at Canada Customs.

:cool:

Does it end up being a better deal to find in the US, or is it just they are easier to source there?
 
:cool:

Does it end up being a better deal to find in the US, or is it just they are easier to source there?

Depends on what condition there in.
I have bought some really nice guns up here in Canada and in the CGN EE to.
Its alot less fricken hassel buying a antique in Canada here or at a gun show.
I have run into all kindsa problems with guns being mailed up here. to bad there wasnt some other way to do it.
Walk accross is one other way if you can do that.
Anyway its ok till something goes wrong then its a nightmare.
I recently had a webley lost in the US postal system for two months. also the max insurance you can buy from usps is about $700 or so for outa country shipping.
 
Depends on what condition there in.
I have bought some really nice guns up here in Canada and in the CGN EE to.
Its alot less fricken hassel buying a antique in Canada here or at a gun show.
I have run into all kindsa problems with guns being mailed up here. to bad there wasnt some other way to do it.
Walk accross is one other way if you can do that.
Anyway its ok till something goes wrong then its a nightmare.
I recently had a webley lost in the US postal system for two months. also the max insurance you can buy from usps is about $700 or so for outa country shipping.

...not to mention that it seems to be getting more common that some sellers gloss over defects in their descriptions. I've brought a few in from the US and it's about 50/50 if the seller described it correctly or not. You really have to read between the lines on a description and ask the right questions; sometimes what's not in the description is more important than what is. Disappointment is common and there's usually no redress. It's not like buying on the EE here.
 
...not to mention that it seems to be getting more common that some sellers gloss over defects in their descriptions. I've bought a few in from the US and it's about 50/50 if the seller described it correctly or not. You have to read between the lines on a description; sometimes what's not said is more important than what is said. Disappointment is common.

No Kidding eh, better have access to a gunsmith to.
I ask a zillion questions and still have clunkers show up now and then.
 
Last edited:
No Kidding eh, better have access to a gunsmith to.

Make sure he knows how to work on old guns. One of my Colts was worked on by a seller's smith before being sent to me who gave the gun a tune up and it needed a bolt adjustment and hand recut when I got it. At least I didn't pay for the "tune up". :jerkit:
 
Does it end up being a better deal to find in the US, or is it just they are easier to source there?

I have found some great deals in the US. Got some very nice pieces at great prices, and yes there is a HUGE market down there for them.

All antiques I have ever bought in the EE I have resold as they weren't as nice as what I have bought directly from the US. I think some of what is sold in the EE are the "duds" people get from the US.


What about reproduction muzzleloaders and bp handguns? Cabela's has good deals on hawken rifles some times.

New production muzzle loading flint, wheel or matchlock RIFLE is "antique", no new handguns though.
 
Back
Top Bottom