primer dud, how long before ejecting bullet?

dizzy

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
162   0   0
so tried my hand at reloading reloaded 250 rounds of 308, didn't get one single good group but I am sure in time that witll come. was using bullets that had lead tips and many were mushed and mashed so didn't expect them to be accurate. However twice, 2 bullets failed to fire. the question is how long to leave them in the chamber before removing them? I left them both in for at least 5 minutes before ejecting them. Hear too much about delayed firing and didn't care to experience any mishaps.
 
It's all covered in the CFSC course.
misfire_types.gif
 
The CFC course is a joke. The round is only dangerous when contained within the chamber of a firearm. Ejecting it right away is not a safety concern. Detonation outside the chamber is akin to a firecracker. Waiting several seconds is fine, waiting a full minute is ridiculous.

TDC
 
In tens of thousands of rounds, in all kinds of guns, I have never seen a misfired/struck round go off by itself. I've shot rounds with a discernable click/bang from slow ignition(poor primers/slow powder), but never seen a struck primer fire on it's own later.
 
I have only ever heard of one going off after the fact. I guy at the range (I wasn't there that day but RO told me) had a single action 45, pulled trigger, no bang. Pulled hammer, rotated to next round, then the round went off. Destroyed the pistol, second gen colt I believe. No one was hurt.

It happens to me every 50-100 rounds, primer doesn't get hit hard enough. In my levers I usually pull the hammer back and give it a second hit and it goes off.

Depends on the gun, in a revolver I would wait longer than a bolt action or lever.
 
thanks guys, didn't think it was a huge deal, just knew I needed to wait a bit before ejecting it just in case it delayed firing. That' would'nt be the best
 
The real question is what caused these misfires. I have fired thousands without ever having a misfire on a reload, even with handguns.
So, do you think it is a rifle problem, or with your technique?
 
Sometimes primers just don't go off. They are made by the hundreds of millions so one would expect the odd one to malfunction.

I have been shooting and reloading for 25 years and just the other day had two dud primers in 20 rounds. THAT is a very rare occurrence but the law of averages says it can happen. NO harm, no foul.
 
Sako Trg, deep hole in the primer, struck it twice, don't think its the rifle. Suspect it was simply a bad primer.
 
Another thing to be careful about is that your hands are clean when priming cases for reloading. Even a tiny bit of case lube on your fingers can deaden primers if you handle them with your fingers. In 40 yrs of reloading I have had 2 or 3 failure to fire's, all of which happened when I failed to wash my hands after sizing cases. Just my $.02 worth
 
The real question is what caused these misfires. I have fired thousands without ever having a misfire on a reload, even with handguns.
So, do you think it is a rifle problem, or with your technique?

Can be lots of things;
-modified gun (lightened hammer springs,etc).
-dirty gun (firing pin gummed up in crud).
-primer not fully seated in a reload.
-oil got to the primer.
-defective primer.
+
+
+
 
idk how safe it is but if i have a click-nothing (ie dud primer) i just tap, rack, and go.....
it take me like a second or two to react so i figure if was a click-bang i'd be alright.
 
Back
Top Bottom