Rolling block pistols

tactical870

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
136   0   0
Is it possible to built a rolling block pistol from a rifle action? I recall hearing that the rifle actions were wider than the pistols but I've never had any firsthand experience. Also, If i were to build a single shot pistol based on an antique Husqavarna rifle action what type of pressure/cartridge could it handle? Ideally I think 357/44 magnum or 460 S&W would be a great chambering although I'm not sure the frame can handle the pressure.
 
Some rifles were built on smaller actions. I have a cadet rifle in 50CF which used a pistol size receiver, it is for sale too.
 
The orig. rolling block pistols were much smaller actions then a #1, your large action would make an ungainly pistol that would require bending both tangs. The thought of using these actions for pressure such as the .460 generates, may provide entertainment for some, but wouldn't be fun for the shooter, having to dislodge rolling block parts from his/her forehead.
Even the smokeless actions were meant for the 44,000cup of the 7X57 cartridge, not the 58,000psi of the .460 S&W.
 
So in theory, the 357 magnum round would be a better choice? Ideally, I'd like a caliber which is more clearly antique as I think 38 colt would chamber and fire in a 357.... It's a theoretical build at this point, but I'm seriously thinking of building a nice 10" or 12" heavy barrel antique status pistol, and possibly even scoping it.
 
Why wouldn't you make it in the caliber that they were made in originally? The .50 Army...original guns in this cal. require no licensing, and can be carried.
 
Ah, heck, if you're gonna go that far, why not go all the way?

I know a guy who has a '66 Winchester saddle-ring carbine for sale. It's an antique, too.

You could chop that one up and convert to centrefire and you'd have a repeater. You can always convert it to a .44 Magnum later.

Makes just as much sense.

Modern high-performance handgun ammunition runs at THREE TIMES the pressure that the old guns were designed for. We are talking PROOF PRESSURES DOUBLED and then something added on. You can get away with it with a little cartridge in a massive action but not with a massive cartridge, even in a big action.

Go read up on firearms design and manufacture and pressure and things like that before you kill somebody or get us all tossed in the slammer.

This is Bubba talk, pure and simple.
.
 
Ah, heck, if you're gonna go that far, why not go all the way?

I know a guy who has a '66 Winchester saddle-ring carbine for sale. It's an antique, too.

You could chop that one up and convert to centrefire and you'd have a repeater. You can always convert it to a .44 Magnum later.

Makes just as much sense.

Modern high-performance handgun ammunition runs at THREE TIMES the pressure that the old guns were designed for. We are talking PROOF PRESSURES DOUBLED and then something added on. You can get away with it with a little cartridge in a massive action but not with a massive cartridge, even in a big action.

Go read up on firearms design and manufacture and pressure and things like that before you kill somebody or get us all tossed in the slammer.

This is Bubba talk, pure and simple.
.

I have to admit, I'm slightly offended by that response. I am talking about buying an antique action in order to build a nice custom gun. I'm not interested in hacking up a valuable antique, but rather working with something of little value, and in turn building an accurate single shot pistol based on an antique frame. If you have a look at the EE there are a number of well respected guys on there doing it already. Being a bubba involves destroying something nice and destroying it's value. I'm talking of doing the exact opposite.
 
Alright! Bubba argument aside, *If one took an antique rolling block action from a rifle, rebarrelled to say 10" and chambered it to .44 special or some other non-proscribed calibre. And he were to bend the tangs/do other mods needed and fashion a pistol grip. How would the end result be classified? Antique? Restricted?
 
My vote would be that the resulting gun would be classified as restricted because the resulting frame would have been heavily modified. The definition of an antique is based on its frame and if you bend the tangs and lengthen them by welding then add some material behind the hammer to create the correct shape, it ceases to be an original receiver.

To the reply about pressure; pressure is important relative to the diameter of the firing pin hole (it would have to be bushed for higher pressure rounds) but is not an issue relative to strenth of the action. What is important is thrust on the breach and on the receiver and that is a factor of pressure times the area of the base of the cartridge. Higher pressures on a small base diameter does not necessarily translate to excessive thrust on the breach and receiver

cheers mooncoon
 
Back
Top Bottom