Wild patterning Traditions inline

yorgi

CGN frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
151   0   0
Location
Toronto, Ontario
Just got back from the range and I must admit I'm quite stumped...

Shooting a .50 cal Traditions Tracker with the following load:

  • 100 gr. Shockey's Gold loose powder
  • CCI 209M primer
  • Hornady .44 XTP 300 gr. pistol bullet
  • Harvester(?) Green sabot

I get decent (for me) 2" groups at 50 yards but when I tried at 100 yards the shots were all over (and sometimes missing altogether) from the paper.

Is this a case where I need to spend more range time or is there a magic component/amount that I can change to actually get a decent group at 100?
 
I had the same problem. Try different sabots. The hornady black ones worked well for me. That said, I now shoot conicals exclusively because I found that pistol bullets have too thin/weak of a jacket effecting terminal performance. They are designed to function effectively at pistol velocities.

I notice you say .44 pistol bullet. Is that a typo? I only ever used .45 pistol bullets. Also, the muzzleloader bullets don't have a crimp groove. This seems to effect accuracy. I believe (although I don't have the high speed video to prove it) that the sabot doesn't detach cleanly from a bullet with a crimp groove effecting long range stability.

Failing those suggestions, try less powder. I generally use about 80-85 grains POI doesn't change much short of 150 yards and groups tighten up.
 
  • 100 gr. Shockey's Gold loose powder


  • That right there is likely a big part of the problem. Shockey's Gold powder is absolute crap!! I've tried every BP substitute I can get my hands on, and Shockey's Gold is the most inconsistent, inaccurate powder on the market. My Triumph will shoot sub 2" groups with Triple 7 or Pyrodex, but a similar load of Shockey's Gold will group about 8". Terrible stuff!!
 
Skip the green sabots. I shoot MMP black sabots with 240 45 cal xtps in all my modern ML's

That right there is likely a big part of the problem. Shockey's Gold powder is absolute crap!!...Terrible stuff!!

Advice from tactical870 and mbbushman taken!

Black sabots, 240 gr. XTP's with 100 gr. 777 loose gave me MUCH tighter and acceptable groups. Thanks a lot for your help gentlemen. Too bad I didn't see a deer to test further...
 
Definitely stick to 777 powder. Another good ammo suggestion is Precision Rifle, if you can find it. they sell prepackaged lead and sabot kits that seem to get good results in most inline muzzle-loaders .
 
Back
Top Bottom