Are these caps corrosive?

H Wally

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
193   0   0
Been doing some work on percussion guns and want to test that the hammer is falling correctly and with enough force to set off the primer. Don't know if the primers are corrosive though, so don't know if I need to clean afterwards... since I only ever shoot blackpowder I've always had to clean and never thought about if the primers themselves were corrosive.

I know I can play it safe and just clean it after regardless, but if it isn't necessary I'd rather just not bother.


19be272d.jpg
 
On the seal around the tin I believe it says SINOXID which was RWS's trademark for noncorrosive priming.
It is potassium chlorate in the primer which is corrosive, not fulminate of mercury.
 
Not unless they are 70-80 yrs old. Mercury fulminate was used then which is corrosive. Now lead Stiphnate or something similar is used.

I have some percussion caps that were bought only about 25 years ago and are corrosive, but the Nobel caps are not.
The corrosive caps are a POS BTW, lots of misfires with them.....
Cat
 
Back
Top Bottom