Ruger Old Army

My twins....

ROA.jpg


Sequential serial numbers, Eagle Gunfighter grips in buffalo horn, Treso nipples, R&D 45 Colt conversion cylinder, Belt Mountain basepin. Tried most of the other cap and ball revolvers, but ended up keeping the ROAs
 
We had snow last week - pretty high above sea level, even tho we're south. One other thing that I should have mentioned about this trip is that it's the first time I've used over-powder wads, and - between those and the Triple7 - man, was that barrel clean (still sooty on the outside). Honestly, I think shooting the same number of Unique loads from a regular centerfire revolver would have left it dirtier.
 
We had snow last week - pretty high above sea level, even tho we're south. One other thing that I should have mentioned about this trip is that it's the first time I've used over-powder wads, and - between those and the Triple7 - man, was that barrel clean (still sooty on the outside). Honestly, I think shooting the same number of Unique loads from a regular centerfire revolver would have left it dirtier.

Lubed patches?
What kind, wonder wads?
 
here are some wonder wads...

http://www.trackofthewolf.com/categories/tableList.aspx?catID=2&subID=37&styleID=124&as=1

I have an old army on the way.
So am learning about the right stuff to buy.

Erich did you use lubed or dry wads?
 
So do the wads discinigrate, fly out the end or?? Do they make a big difference? How much room would they take up in the cylinder. Do you still need to wipe the end with anything, lard grease or ?? when using wads?
 
I have no idea what they do after they leave the muzzle. :) The gun was notably cleaner when I used them than when I did not. They did not diminish my ability to put 35 grains into the chambers. I have never put anything over the balls in this revolver - think it makes sense with BP, but not so much with 777 (and I don't buy that it prevents chain-firing, which would seem a lot more likely to originate from the rear).
 
So do the wads discinigrate, fly out the end or?? Do they make a big difference? How much room would they take up in the cylinder. Do you still need to wipe the end with anything, lard grease or ?? when using wads?

The wads will be a couple yards downrange and usually in good enough shape that you could use them again if you wanted to. Cork come apart a bit mroe than the fibre ones.

Using lube will keep the bore cleaner and make final clean-up easier. You shouldn't need to cover the cylinders if you have wads but some people like to anyway.

I've simply never gotten around to buying wads and will grease them up if I do. Then I'll quit smearing the up too as it makes for quite the goopy mess.
 
I had a chance to shoot today..WHOO-HAA! I purchased a ROA stainless the other day so I had a chance to compare both blue-stainless-1972-1983(blued is the 72 model)
The 1972 model is a red xr3 frame with a small trigger. The grips are just about interchangeable but not. The stainless weighs 4.6 oz more. The nipples on the 72 need an 11 cap at the least, maybe even a 12, while the 10 nipples just about fall off the stainless model. The 72 seems to be machined a little better. Not as much play in parts and cylinders seem to be a little deeper. My son and I tried a lot of different loads and combinations, which I am very thankfull to all of you whom have given me advice. We had a blast with 38 grains of powder and Hornandy balls. We tried Traditions balls but found we liked the others more. We tried some loads with less powder and wads also. We had a wonderful day
NOW...
Pyrodex?? I know Erich uses it. Is it just for the clean-up?
We shot standing, one handed..Great What would be the proper sitting position?
Any different kind or type or brand of balls?
Has anyone had problems with primers?
Has anyone changed out the hammer spring? Wolf? Any other after market?
Thanks
Jim
 
WHOA now . . . I use 777, not Pyrodex. Honestly, I use it for power (look at my chrono numbers and tell me any black powder that will get me there) and just enjoy clean-up being a breeze. Ignition is not as easy as with Holy Black, though: mag caps seem to work fine, tho (I've not tried normal ones).
 
Back
Top Bottom