Old 1894 - What to Do?....(PIX ON PAGE 3)

hugh manuell

Regular
Rating - 100%
39   0   0
Location
Central Ontario
Recently bought (from a CGN Member) a Win 1894 32 Special. It dates to 1919. The barrel is 26", half octagon, full length magazine, the action is very tight (not much wear).

Now the bad part; there is quite a lot of pitting on the outside of the barrel, mag. tube and receiver. The stock has been painted (looks like black epoxy paint), the steel parts have all been sand blasted then re-blued, the sights are not original.

Based on my previous reading here on CGN and elsewhere, I think I know the answer to my question, but would appreciate hearing from the "experts". I am planning on making it into a trapper type bush rifle by cutting the barrel and mag tube to 18" and either refinishing or replacing the stock, probably put on a peep sight.

I think the gun has zero collector interest so I would not be doing any more harm than has already been done. What do you all think?

Hugh
 
Last edited:
I would leave the barrel full length. If you want a trapper style lever, you can buy one for no more than $300.00. If you cut that barrel, eventually you'll see the error, and be sorry. Ask me how I know. If cash is tight, the riffle you have, depending on how bad the pits are, can be restored a number of ways. The stocks you have can also be restored, again depending on the condition. Pictures would really help. No Winchester, in original configuration, has zero collectors value. Half Oct. half round barrels are rare. Once you cut that barrel, it's junk, and you'll know it. Feel free to PM me for more info, or we can discuss further here, if you wish. You have lots of options, without cutting the barrel.

R.
 
If thats what you want then go for it. I think you are right about the colletor status. Its gone.Unless you can find someone who can custom restore to near original condition and then justify the cost of restoration you will need deep pockets. The .32 cal is a good cartridge. I have a .32-40 (almost the same) and I dare say they are superior to the 30-30 except for the availability of ammo.
 
I guess I don't see the obsession with short barrels. To me the long barrel is more desireable even with the pitting. I would agree with you about the collector's interest but still feel that to a shooter, the long barrel is more desireable

cheers mooncoon
 
If thats what you want then go for it. I think you are right about the colletor status. Its gone.Unless you can find someone who can custom restore to near original condition and then justify the cost of restoration you will need deep pockets. The .32 cal is a good cartridge. I have a .32-40 (almost the same) and I dare say they are superior to the 30-30 except for the availability of ammo.


If a guy has the desire, patience, and time, a pitted rifle can be made to look much better. You don't have to spend a fortune to have a nice, original looking rifle. In fact, you don't have to spend much at all. Unless this thing has huge craters in it, it can easily be fixed. Pictures?
And yes, the .32 is a great cartridge, and I also dare say, better than the 30WCF. Ammo isn't too hard to find in these parts, may be different out there.
R.
 
save the time and effort of cutting it down and DON'T imo.

go with all your other plans to make it a shooter but for Gawds sake don't chop it up.It's a 1/2 oct barrel and you'll be fv<king up the balance point not to mention losing mag capacity.
 
"...gun has zero collector interest..." Likely more than you'd think, despite the poor condition. Isn't an antique nor BP rifle either. What's the bore like?
"...planning on making it into a trapper type bush rifle..." Don't even think about it. The .32 Special is just a .30-30 necked up to .32 calibre. The muzzle blast and noise will be astounding out of an 18" barrel.
 
OK OK OK OK!!! I get the message. It is not what I expected, but I hear you all and respect your opinions. I'll probably try to sell it and then buy a more "useful" lever carbine.

Thanks to you all,

Hugh
 
After hearing from the CGN Members, I took the rifle out and had a very good look at it. (as I said, I just bought it). The pitting on the mag. tube is very severe, but I suppose it would be fairly easy to replace. The pitting on the receiver is confined to the right side near the top. The barrel has only minor pitting on the right side about half way along the round part. What I thought was sand blasting may in fact be flat black paint. Further investigation required. The paint on the stock is very dark brown, apparently epoxy. I gently scraped a small area of the forearm and the paint seems to be applied to bare wood, no original finish. The bore looks pretty good except the last bit at the muzzle.

Just thought I'd update those of you who showed an interest in this old rifle.

Thanks again,

Hugh
 
Guys don't get subtle Rockeye, :p

Looks like decision has been made, glad for it. Same here, no choppy-chop, worth either trying to bring back or just sell for what you want.

Most important thing about that rifle Hugh is the barrel and receiver. Wood and mag tube can be replaced, but having a half oct barrel....well that just tickles people!

That would be a good little project gun for the winter.
 
After hearing from the CGN Members, I took the rifle out and had a very good look at it. (as I said, I just bought it). The pitting on the mag. tube is very severe, but I suppose it would be fairly easy to replace. The pitting on the receiver is confined to the right side near the top. The barrel has only minor pitting on the right side about half way along the round part. What I thought was sand blasting may in fact be flat black paint. Further investigation required. The paint on the stock is very dark brown, apparently epoxy. I gently scraped a small area of the forearm and the paint seems to be applied to bare wood, no original finish. The bore looks pretty good except the last bit at the muzzle.

Just thought I'd update those of you who showed an interest in this old rifle.

Thanks again,

Hugh

hi Hugh
if the last bit of the barrel at the muzzle affects the way it shoots, you can get it free bored in a bit past the bad spot, this is how to fix that without cutting that barrel.

Brownie
 
Acetone can be helpful in removing old paint or varnish and it does not harm the wood or metal. Just make jolly sure you don't get acetone on any finish that you want to preserve.
 
Even though "Hunter" or "Turnbull" Winchester restorations are so very beautiful to look at, there is also something great about an old, very used, original gun. Except for maybe the black paint, just cleaning,oiling, & preserving "as is" gives much joy in imagining the history behind every blemish. Some of that mystique disappears when it gets even the finest of treatment. I've got my great, great, uncle's Model 92 and soft case in as used shape... it even has the smell of a 100 years of cigarettes, whiskey, & sweat, & I wouldn't change it ever. All the best on whatever your choice.
Cheers
Jaguar
 
Back
Top Bottom