7.62x54r surplus ruptures

midnightpossum

CGN frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
50   0   0
Location
East Kootneys
I read somewhere in another thread that it is not uncommon, for the cases on these to rupture! As I am about to delve into this market via the Mosin Nagant.
I am somewhat concerned.
Although I know what a rupture is,I don't know its effect.. and can only assume that it is extremely dangerous... Could someone who has knowledge in this field please fill me in.;)
 
I've never had it happen. A rupture effects the ejection only. Sometimes only half the case comes out or you need an extractor to take the top of the case out. What goes on in the chamber generally has no effect to the safety of the shooter. If your case does not come out whole, you need to make sure the barrel is clear.
 
Generally it's no big deal. Sometimes the case may have a small split in the neck or shoulder area.

If the case is separating above the base, chances are the rifle has a headspace problem.
 
I had 1 rupture, noticed it when I was picking up the brass at the end of the day... no big issue specially from a bolt gun!
 
Last edited:
Splits in the necks of surplus x54r rounds are very common, you will often see it with older (read non czech) 7.62x25TT rounds aswell. Essentially it is not a "rupture" or some sort of catastrophic explosion but rather a small split, usually about 1mm long, and a tenth of that thick in the neck. You will feel absolutely no difference if this occurs, nor will it harm your rifle. This happens for many reasons, one of which being hot surplus loads in less then perfect chambers.
 
If the case is separating above the base, chances are the rifle has a headspace problem.

This is another issue altogether. If this occurs there is definitely a problem. 11 Mosins and about 3000 rds later I have never had this, however issues like this are definitely something to get checked out.
 
RUPTURES;
In general most of these occurences can be blamed on the fact that steel cased ammo is not quite as forgiving as brass....

In a chamber that is maybe a bit large a brass case will flow and strecth whereas steel will not....

In the case of a rimmed round such as the 7.62x54r ir really does not matter much....
John
 
I have only experienced case ruptures with old (1942) .303 nickel cupro ammo fired from any of my enfields. In those instances, it was definitely ammo, and not rifle related.

By the same token, I have gone through a lot of 7.62\54R rounds (Czech silver tips, steel jacket), and have never experienced any problems, other than the occasional sticky Mosin bolt.
 
Back
Top Bottom