Colt Pocket revolver reloading

H Wally

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
193   0   0
Since I'm unfamiliar with shooting percussion revolvers, here's the question.

I have a percussion colt pocket revolver whose cylinders and bore slug to .319 on average.

Originally I thought I would just use #0 buckshot (.320), but can't find it for sale separate from the ammunition, or molds for it.


Anyone know of an appropriate .320 approx diameter mold for a colt pocket?
 
Since I'm unfamiliar with shooting percussion revolvers, here's the question.

I have a percussion colt pocket revolver whose cylinders and bore slug to .319 on average.

Originally I thought I would just use #0 buckshot (.320), but can't find it for sale separate from the ammunition, or molds for it.

I think there is a 000 buck at .33 diameter which would actually be more appropriate for your gun. If you watch Ebay, you may turn up a .33 mold or buy one from Jeff Tanner. I'll check the basement later in case I have one that I could lend you under pain of death if not returned :>) :>)

cheers mooncoon
 
Hmm - mind you, I'm taking wikipedia at its word, which may be faulty but it has #0 as .320 and #00 as .330.

I know the cylinder should shave a ring off the ball as it's pressed, however I'm not sure if .330 might be excessively difficult to seat with the pocket revolvers short lever. May as well try in any event though :p
 
colt

hllave a copy of colt mold that measures .321 when cast that you can borrow but it takes a lot of time to make many. i have 00 buck that i use in my .34 flinter if you want some of those as well but i think they would be too tight. rgds, bill
 
I now have 3 Lee molds and they are a good value for the money U.S. $19.95 they can be ordered online from Track of the Wolf...Fast professional service and they are double cavity so only half (apProx) the work. How about some pictures of your gun???
 
Lee has one in .319.

Aha - I seem to have missed that somehow - Thanks!

hllave a copy of colt mold that measures .321 when cast that you can borrow but it takes a lot of time to make many. i have 00 buck that i use in my .34 flinter if you want some of those as well but i think they would be too tight. rgds, bill

I may take you up on that offer if I can't find a suitable mold. I'm thinking you may be right on the 00 buck - mooncoon's right in saying it should be a tight fit, but I'm not sure how easy it'll be to get that short loading lever to do the job :p

I now have 3 Lee molds and they are a good value for the money U.S. $19.95 they can be ordered online from Track of the Wolf...Fast professional service and they are double cavity so only half (apProx) the work. How about some pictures of your gun???

Thanks! I'll do some digging on TOW

If you don't mind my asking - why do only half work?


The one functional colt has been posted, but the another just arrived, so obligatory photo shoot:

a796e3f7.jpg
 
Back
Top Bottom