tactical870
CGN Ultra frequent flyer
- Location
- Buckhorn, Ontario
Well I'm starting to think I need to consider buying myself an SAA for Christmas. What should I look for and what is a fair price? Caliber? It must be antique status...
I'm leaning towards a 44 spl or 45 acp as I want to be able to shoot factory ammo.
Most SAA owners I know still download these calibers. By factory I assume you mean lead bullets beacause even if you have a modern cylinder you likely will have an old barrel and you will quickly obliterate any rifling with FMJ projectiles. Sorry, don't mean to be a wet towel, just saying.
Of course I assume a newer 3rd generation barrel and cylinder could be installed to beef up the gun for hotter loads. I love my webley but I want more accuracy and power than a 455 provides...
Are there any cources in Canada for 44 spl or 45 acp SAA cylinders?
buy a new one from doc rowland. the dollar's at par.....
I'm leaning towards a 44 spl or 45 acp as I want to be able to shoot factory ammo. To build a 44 spl you would rechamber a 44-40 I assume? I've been looking at a number of 44-40's that don't seem unreasonable pricewise... I think I'd avoid 41 as it's tricky to load for....
As I understand it if you have a certified antique if you alter it to shoot a modern cartridge you just pooched the antique status. Not so?
If you're just after a shooter then I don't see why you would not just buy a modern repro. It makes a lot more sense than to butcher an antique. If you want to shoot the antique then get one which can still be reloaded for and enjoy it for the gun it is rather than what you THINK it should be.



























