Sold

ramonmark

New member
Rating - 98.9%
93   1   1
Hello fello gun nutz,

I'm thinking of parting with one of the safe queens. What would somehting like this be worth? 405 Win, M1985 (Original). Manufactured in 1914. I'm at work here and don't have any pictures but over-all condition I'd say 80% wood and bluing. It's been used for hunitng for a long time but NEVER abused. Everyting is original except for a rear peep sight installed by the great John Jobson in the mid 60's.

Kindly
 
Last edited:
405 1895

my bud just got one last year for$600 in like new condition,reblue i think, shoots just fine. little expensive for ammo and hard to find,bryan
 
Do your homework. Check out some American sites. If it original and not been bubba with, up to 3 grand. Be careful of the wheeler dealers, winchester hucksters and other haemorrhoids out in internet land:mad: they will try to f**k you out of it, only to flip it for a tidy profit.
 
Some guys like to low-ball stuff they have no clue about.
Without seeing clear photos of the item it could be worth anywhere from 2500 to 5500.
As always, condition...condition...condition!
I haven't seen a 405 in years...would be great to see some photos.
Cheers
 
If it were a 303 in average worn finish condition, locally they would go for $500 - $700 and are not particularly easy to sell. What may raise the price of yours is the caliber and what may lower the price is that it was apparently drilled and tapped for a peep sight

cheers Mooncoon
 
Last edited:
I think it's a bigger market= bigger demand= higher prices. Some guys price their items baded on Gunbroker prices and are surprised when they don't move in Canada. I also find auction prices to be somewhat higher than gunshow prices as well.
 
One thing to keep in mind when researching these rifles, is that Win prices stateside are generally much, much higher then up here. I don't know if it's a cultural or historical thing, but I've observed it quite a few times. Just an FYI. - dan

This very true, but what I like to say is that we live in a world economy and the 49th isn't much of an impediment. Yes, getting a $300 gun down there just isn't worth the effort but a $5000 gun would be worth it. A few of the "pros" on here have pipelines to the south and don't shed a tear on the better turnover either.
Unfortunately this is probably how my collection will be dealt with.
 
Put your high price on it and put it on EE. Remember there are a lot of US Winchester collectors that watch this site. If you are trying to get every nickle out it you will always assume that you sold it to low. In this age of poor ecomony only the high condition guns get the high prices as high end collectors are not to worried about the state of the economy. They will still want to bargin.
The demand for the old .405 has tappered off a bit, a few years ago, early 95s in the .405 in 90%+ condition with no special features could get close to $7000.00. I know there was very nice one on EE a while back and I don't think it sold for a reasonable asking price and I know there was a couple of US collectors looking at it.
Just my two cents worth.
 
This very true, but what I like to say is that we live in a world economy and the 49th isn't much of an impediment. Yes, getting a $300 gun down there just isn't worth the effort but a $5000 gun would be worth it. A few of the "pros" on here have pipelines to the south and don't shed a tear on the better turnover either.
Unfortunately this is probably how my collection will be dealt with.

+1, Tears don't pay the mortgage or the old age home...... Do your homework before you put it up for sale... Or sell it to me for $500 & I'll do the leg work.;)
 
Thanks everyone. And if you know someone who can point me in the right direction for a contact for info on states selling and all that jazz. Please PM me.
 
I'll toss this around in my head till after Christmas then maybe give my fello CGNers a crack at her first. I also have a model 1912 Winchester 28 gauge in full skeet. Built in 1955. That one is I way better condition tho, guessing no lower than 95%. Might post that one aswell.
 
Some guys seem to be missing the point. He said it was drilled and tapped for a peep sight after market so you shouldn't really be throwing those big numbers around. It is a hunting/shooting rifle not a collector. Not that I wouldn't like to have it but most collectors don't get too excited over drilled rifles.
 
I would like to f#%k you out of it but I wouldn't flip it for profit as I have no winchesters for sale and never will. I will watch for it on the EE if that is where you are going to sell it.

Well you know something billdick...I am really beginning to worry about you...you have tendency to hold things back and not let go. You gotta let your true intention be known..none of this pussy-footing around...just tell us what you want!!!!! :D :stirthepot2: :stirthepot2: :stirthepot2:
 
Some guys seem to be missing the point. He said it was drilled and tapped for a peep sight after market so you shouldn't really be throwing those big numbers around. It is a hunting/shooting rifle not a collector. Not that I wouldn't like to have it but most collectors don't get too excited over drilled rifles.

This obviously from a collectors point is poison:(, it's like kissing your sister, no matter how good she looks she's still your sister:p My comment on the US boarder was meant as a generalisation as some people try to tell me it's like the old iron curtain, if it's pre 98 they almost wave you through;) To some the gun was given/inherited and what ever they get it's pure profit.
 
Last edited:
Some guys seem to be missing the point. He said it was drilled and tapped for a peep sight after market so you shouldn't really be throwing those big numbers around. It is a hunting/shooting rifle not a collector. Not that I wouldn't like to have it but most collectors don't get too excited over drilled rifles.


Yep, it's kinda like putting a set of sling studs into a 95% 1876 deluxe and then asking $10,000 for it. Any collector is gonna laugh.
 
Back
Top Bottom