Winchester 1894 .32-40

ErikT

CGN frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
106   0   0
Thought I'd post this here, seeing as how this beast is so old. I was just given an old 1894 Winchester in .32-40, and I was wondering what it might be worth. It's in fair shape, with minor pitting throughout. The forend is not original, and the rear sight has been bubba'd, but otherwise it's all original. The bore is actually pretty good, with nice, clear rifling and much less pitting that I'd expected from looking at the outside. 26" full octagon barrel and full mag tube as well, with a crescent steel buttplate. Normally, I'd estimate that a shooter like this would only be worth $250 to $300 or so, but here's the kicker: The serial number is only four digits! Would that increase the value, or should I just give it the TLC it needs (like new stocks) and hunt with it?
 
Firstly, congrats on being given such a nice old girl, I wish I got given old Winchesters!

I would keep as much original as possible, if the butt stock is serviceable, leave it alone. As long as the rear sight dovetail is intact, would try and replace what you have with something more authentic. If you have only minor pitting then you should be good to shoot cast in it although slug and see what kind of diameter you have.

The four digits mean you definitely have an 1894 or 1895 manufacture rifle (depending on whether you go with the CFM or the Madis numbers) and thats worth something! 32-40 is always a sought after caliber as well, so you will be good there as well.
 
Why is it that when people post up here saying that thay were just given a nice old gun (that we would all love to be given to us), most of the time thay want to know how much it's worth? FRIG MAN, it was given to you. If anything, play with it first to see if you like it. Then, if you dont, send'er my way.:D
 
I don't see any problem with wondering how much it is worth. If someone gave me an original Rembrandt painting for shoveling out his driveway, but I'd never heard of Rembrandt and thought he was Bubba's uncle and was planning to use it to do a pattern check on my old shotgun, I'd sure enough appreciate knowing it was worth 15 million dollars before doing the pattern check, rather than finding out a few months after it went to the town dump after being blasted to doll rags.
 
It's called looking a gift horse in the mouth! Always wise. . . you have to know what to feed it. . . or if it might feed you. Enjoy that old Winchester, sounds like a beauty
 
Thanks for the replies, guys. I don't intend to alter it in any way; just make it shootable again and keep it original as possible. I just wanted to know what it might be worth so when I pass it down to my gunnut children, I can tell them how truly valuable it is. It's been ridden hard, that's for sure, and it will most definitely need new stocks, but the metal is decent and should clean up okay. No finish to speak of, of course, but that's part of her charm. Once I get the last of the crud out of the bore and shine it up, I'll be slugging it and shooting cast only. That's how she was intended. I'll see if my wife will take a few before and after photos of it for me. I think it wants to go out deer hunting with me one day.

Erik.
 
Common problem with that rifle is loose wood, to fix that, simply remove the butt, and install a shim cut from a cereal box under the tang. It really improves the shooting when the butt is held on tightly! How badly is the forearm buggered? I may have one, but I think it's for a round barrel. :(

The rear sight on the .32-40 is, I believe, the same as the one on the .38-55. I'll have to check up on that. All of the Winchester rifles had similar, but different, sights. Each calibre had its own unique elevator, and there were black powder height, and smokeless height, sights. The .32-40 used the former.

Not much else wears out on those old rifles. Check the firing pin, though, make sure the tip isn't broken off. In my opinion, the model 1894 stood up to rough service better than the Marlin 1893 or Savage 1899. I've seen 1894's in truly horrible condition, that spent their entire lives on fishing boats. Even had one here that I had to soak for weeks in diesel fuel just to get it apart, yet it was still 100% functional. I had another, all beat to Hell, that a guy wanted cleaned up. I asked how the Hell did it get so worn out? The stock was cracked, mag tube dented, covered in rust, etc. He says; "Oh, that's from the back of my truck!" "What, behind the seat?" "No, no no, in the box!" Still, the bloody thing worked!
 
I have an 1894 32-40 rifle with a 26" barrel that came from my great grandfather. They are nice shooting guns, and having some family history makes them even more interesting. I'm hoping to use it on a deer this fall.
 
I've given it a once over, and it appears to be fully functional, with no damaged or overly worn parts. The forearm is actually a piece of oak crudely whittled to resemble a stock by what appears to be a four-year-old with a spoon and a bag over his head. The butt is original, but cracked badly through the wrist and scratched and dented up pretty badly. The metal parts just ned a good cleaning and a light scrubbing to remove the loose rust scale and accumulated grime, followed by a good oiling. The wood will definitely be getting replaced.
 
I have a .32/40 1894 as well and it had a run in with a hacksaw. If anyone knows where I could find a 26 inch octagon or(a really long shot) a half round I'd appreciate a PM. They are a really interesting calibre, not too common in my neck of the woods.
 
I don't see any problem with wondering how much it is worth. If someone gave me an original Rembrandt painting for shoveling out his driveway, but I'd never heard of Rembrandt and thought he was Bubba's uncle and was planning to use it to do a pattern check on my old shotgun, I'd sure enough appreciate knowing it was worth 15 million dollars before doing the pattern check, rather than finding out a few months after it went to the town dump after being blasted to doll rags.



You do have a point there. I'm sorry ErikT, for jumping at ya. I guess I'm just jealous no ever gives me any guns.:rolleyes:

Thanks.

Ti
 
Strange coincidence, I'm about to start trying to track down my grandfathers Winnie 94.

It was "misappropriated" by my aunt and given to her son-in-law, and since passed to his son or brother from what my father knows.

The rifle should've been rightfully given to him, being the only son of my grandfather, but was forgot about during the time shortly after my grandfathers' death.

I would really like to get it back in the family that it belongs in. It was a .32WS to boot...

:(
 
Strange coincidence, I'm about to start trying to track down my grandfathers Winnie 94.

It was "misappropriated" by my aunt and given to her son-in-law, and since passed to his son or brother from what my father knows.

The rifle should've been rightfully given to him, being the only son of my grandfather, but was forgot about during the time shortly after my grandfathers' death.

I would really like to get it back in the family that it belongs in. It was a .32WS to boot...

:([/QUOTE

I sympathize, I hear these kinds of things a lot especially concerning old guns. You can pick your friends but you can't pick your relatives, I guess.
 
Back
Top Bottom