Sellier & Bellot 9mm fail to fire in Sig

philchau

CGN Regular
Rating - 100%
98   0   0
Location
Vancouver, BC
Hmm ran my Sig P226R today at the range and tried out some 124gr Sellier & Bellot 9mm and ended up with 50% fail to fire in Single Action and about 25% fail to fire in Double Action.

Primers looked struck, but nuthin'

Ran them through my Glock 19 and everything ran fine.
 
Have you possibly replaced your mainspring with an aftermarket spring? (or the owner before you as the case might be?)
 
never had a problem like that with my SIG - I actually didn't mind the S&B ammo, worked reliably and the cases had red dye so it was easy to collect after shooting
 
I only run factory ammo through both guns, and I've just had problems with the Sellier & Bellot.

Speer, Winchester, Federal, Remington all fine, less than 1% failure rate.

Good thing I didn't buy the case
 
A 21 lbs mainspring is a fairly inexpensive replacement.

Not all springs, even those labeled as 21 lbs mainsprings, are created equal (unfortunately).



A 19 lbs mainspring is common for smoothing out the trigger, but failure to ignite hard primers is the standard cautionary tale on SigForum for any such replacements to the minimum spec 19.
 
I own a P226 Classic .22 with a 9mm conversion kit and I had few problem at the begining with S&B 115 gr. But after around 500 rounds, no more jam with 115 gr. But now I use 124 gr, works great as well.
 
A 21 lbs mainspring is a fairly inexpensive replacement.

Not all springs, even those labeled as 21 lbs mainsprings, are created equal (unfortunately).

A 19 lbs mainspring is common for smoothing out the trigger, but failure to ignite hard primers is the standard cautionary tale on SigForum for any such replacements to the minimum spec 19.

Thanks for the info, might look into a new mainspring then.
 
I only run factory ammo through both guns, and I've just had problems with the Sellier & Bellot.

Speer, Winchester, Federal, Remington all fine, less than 1% failure rate.

Good thing I didn't buy the case

Are you 1st original owner? Was the gun a Cert. Refurb.? I think Lever sells refurbs.

S&B primers may be harder than other brands, except may be CCI (or about equal).

Did you come to shoot IDPA match in 'wack one time? We had a guy with SIG and if failed to fire almost 20-30% of the time... so the guy had to keep pulling trigger several times to fire it. I dunno what ammo he used. He was new, it was one and only time I saw him there.

If you know how - inspect firing pin, its channel, spring, don't use oil on pin or inside channel, just clean them. Inspect main spring, strut and hammer for tight sports too. Check S&B ammo, specifically cases' lengh and how ammo chambers and headspacing.
 
Are you 1st original owner? Was the gun a Cert. Refurb.? I think Lever sells refurbs.

S&B primers may be harder than other brands, except may be CCI (or about equal).

Did you come to shoot IDPA match in 'wack one time? We had a guy with SIG and if failed to fire almost 20-30% of the time... so the guy had to keep pulling trigger several times to fire it. I dunno what ammo he used. He was new, it was one and only time I saw him there.

If you know how - inspect firing pin, its channel, spring, don't use oil on pin or inside channel, just clean them. Inspect main spring, strut and hammer for tight sports too. Check S&B ammo, specifically cases' lengh and how ammo chambers and headspacing.

I'm the second owner, I haven't seen very many of the "R" models as refurbs, mainly the non-rail versions.

I didn't shoot IDPA in 'wack, but interesting to hear of other people having issues. Maybe i'll drop off the gun to Kelly at DVC to see if he can diagnose it.
 
The only issue I've had with the S&B 9mm was when I was shooting in -35 degree weather during the recent cold snaps. Perhaps one round per 50 would fail to fire.

Always ignited when I pulled the trigger again, though.
 
I own a P226 Classic .22 with a 9mm conversion kit and I had few problem at the begining with S&B 115 gr. But after around 500 rounds, no more jam with 115 gr. But now I use 124 gr, works great as well.

Precision : never had failure to fire. Just cases that didn't eject properly and got stock in the cycle.
 
Back
Top Bottom