1873 French pistol in .455???

LomondK

CGN Regular
Rating - 100%
78   0   0
Location
Edmonton Ab.
I'm brand new in the antique world and to any form of reloading. I bought an 1873 french ordinance pistol that when I got it, it was already in the middle of the conversion from 11.5 mm to .455 webley. So I finished the conversion, got it back from the gunsmith a week ago, went out and bought some reloading supplies for it.

I bought cast bullets that the guy at WSS (he said he reloaded for his webley)said would work for me with a diameter of .452. I got home and decided I would try to push a bullet through the barrel so I could measure the rifling.

What I am wondering is how difficult should it be to push a bullet down the barrel? I am worried after I tried and was only able to push it about 1/2 an inch down from the chamber and completely unable to push it in from the muzzle. Is there some trick that I don't know about, or was this half finished conversion I bought just an abortion that isn't going to work for me.....


Thanks for any input

Kevin
 
You shouldn't be able to push it by hand a brass drift and a mallet to drive it through the rifling
 
At the risk of stating the obvious, don't forget to grease the bullet really well, it will make the process go a little easier.

Post some picture of your gun when you can. We all enjoy the old gun #### here :)
 
Here are some pictures of the pistol sorry they are a little on the big side. Next project after I get some rounds loaded up will obviously be to either find or build a better grip for this one. Like I said I bought it as a half finished project.

2v2co3r.jpg

fyep28.jpg

nx2913.jpg
 
I didn't have any issues with the chamber throat, I think the gunsmith opened it up a little when he reamed out the cylinder.

Not sure who I was talking to a WSS but it was an older guy at the North store, I didn't get a name but he had an epic mustache.

Obviously this was re-blued at some point, I bought it as a shooter, not so much a showpiece.
 
Last edited:
Took it out and shot it today, the .452 did nicely. My load was a little light, 4gr of Unique behind a 200gr bullet so I loaded a few dozen more today and up-ed the load. New grips is what I'm starting on tomorrow.
 
How did you determine your loads needed to be "up-ed" - chrongraph?

Who did your chamber reaming? Is 455Webley the best for this - or maybe 45 Schofield would be better. Any one know for this model revolver?
 
.455 Webley and .45 Schofield are virtually the same cartridge. I think the .455 is just a tad shorter is all. I imported that gun from the States a couple of years ago. So that's where it ended up. enjoy
 
RT Gunsmiths out in Warberg alberta did the chambers for me. I don't have a chronograph but with 4grs of unique it sounded like I was shooting a .22 and the bullets didn't even penetrate a half an inch into a tree, I watched a couple of them actually bounce off....... so I'm gonna try 4.5grs and see what happens.

Tumbleweeds13, I got this pistol off a guy in PEI, I wonder how many other stops it made between you and I.
 
RT Gunsmiths out in Warberg alberta did the chambers for me. I don't have a chronograph but with 4grs of unique it sounded like I was shooting a .22 and the bullets didn't even penetrate a half an inch into a tree, I watched a couple of them actually bounce off....... so I'm gonna try 4.5grs and see what happens.

Tumbleweeds13, I got this pistol off a guy in PEI, I wonder how many other stops it made between you and I.

I Shot 5 grs of unique in mine with a 250 keith SWC that were 455 caliber rechambered guns. just check your bore as long as the bullets are close match to the bore you will be ok.
Bushman is right some of theses were blowin up in the USA but them were unaltered guns useing the wrong sized bullets with shortened 44 40 cases.
the top strap is where they let go.
if your guns in decenty shape 5 grs of unique should be oK or try 4.5 frist.
 
Yah I tried 4.5grs today and I liked it for sure at least it felt like I was shooting a real pistol LOL loading up some 5grs as we speak so I'm gonna see how they shoot here on the weekend

Thanks for all the feed back guys
 
Tumbleweeds13, I got this pistol off a guy in PEI, I wonder how many other stops it made between you and I.

If I remember right, I sold it to a fella out west. If so, this thing has been across the country more often than I have. (I'm from B.C. and the folks are still there, and my wife is from P.E.I. and her brother is there, so I've been across a bit) It was a good tight gun, but the awful grips put a for sale sign on it for me. My avatar is one of the ones that I leave to the kids in the will. Perfect mechanically, perfect bore. They are nice guns. The Ruger Blackhawks of the 19th century. I've only got 2 right now, but I'm always looking.
 
Back
Top Bottom