Lead shot?

amber2010

CGN Regular
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Sorry if this has been answered before. I can't find anything on it. I have acquired an older shotgun. It's a remington 11-48. I contacted Remington and they told me it was manufactured around 1952. I asked if it was Ok to fire steel shot in it. They responded as "it is not recommended". Now I haven't hunted for small game in years. I know that lead shot was supposed to have been banned some time ago. But was that for migratory game only? if so is lead shot still available at most or any shops? If not, what do people with older shotguns do?
Thanks
 
Sorry if this has been answered before. I can't find anything on it. I have acquired an older shotgun. It's a remington 11-48. I contacted Remington and they told me it was manufactured around 1952. I asked if it was Ok to fire steel shot in it. They responded as "it is not recommended". Now I haven't hunted for small game in years. I know that lead shot was supposed to have been banned some time ago. But was that for migratory game only? if so is lead shot still available at most or any shops? If not, what do people with older shotguns do?
Thanks

I still shoot lead shot in shotguns except when migratory bird hunting. No problem buying lead shot in the gun shops, etc.
 
Modern shotguns made for steel shot have longer forcing cones and a longer and reduced choke. If you are using your gun for hunting migratory birds, you may want to get your gun modified although I would expect it to cost $100 to $150 but that is a guess. The issue is not the durability of the barrel, it is that the steel shot does not distort while traveling down the barrel and does not need as much choking for the same pattern. Steel shot cups are much thicker than those for lead.

I shoot damascus doubles and use bismuth for hunting ducks but it is expensive and I shoot very little. There is also heavy shot which I think is a tungsten polymer but not sure and it is more expensive than bismuth but also perhaps more available

cheers mooncoon
 
Back
Top Bottom