Antique Caliber Conversions

cadgo

BANNED
CGN Ultra frequent flyer
BANNED
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
Location
USA
I was just wondering,

First, is there anyone that could convert a 32rf to 17mach 2 or 22 magnum in the greater vancouver area?

Second, has anyone ever actually asked the RCMP whether they are allowed?

I emailed Barry Jensen at Bits of Pieces and he figured converting my handgun would make it restricted or prohibited based on barrel length.

Thanks
 
I was just wondering,

First, is there anyone that could convert a 32rf to 17mach 2 or 22 magnum in the greater vancouver area?

Second, has anyone ever actually asked the RCMP whether they are allowed?

I emailed Barry Jensen at Bits of Pieces and he figured converting my handgun would make it restricted or prohibited based on barrel length.
Thanks

f:P:

Why is it that no gunsmiths understand the law??? :rolleyes:
 
f:P:

Why is it that no gunsmiths understand the law??? :rolleyes:

Yea, I am going to wait til the end of the day for him to respond then I guess I'll pick up those reloadable 32rf's. I like the idea of keeping it original and using the reloadable cases but I would also like to be able to go to the store and pick up a few hundred rounds and shoot them.
 
same reason people start new threads on topics that have been discussed over and over and over and...

I've read the other threads, lots of speculation and no one actually giving a good answer. Also I was looking for some advice on gunsmiths in Vancouver. I only know of Bits of Pieces and he seems pretty set on not doing it for perceived legal reasons.
 
I get a little uneasy about stuff like this, especially discussed on a public forum. Yes, the 17 Mach 2 is not on the 'no go' list of antique cartridges, so your pistol would still be a legal antique, but it is this kind of stuff that might get certain people thinking it is time to re-visit the law when it comes to antiques. It is one thing to convert a pre-1898 pistol to another pre-1898 caliber that isn't on the 'no go' list. But to convert it to a cartridge that even the average Toronto suburbanite would recognize as modern is the kind of thing that might get enough of them worried to wreck things for us. Personally, I would prefer to stick with old cartridges, if not pre-1898 cartridges, if one is going to do any converting, and stay away from obviously modern cartridges. The other issue is whether these old guns turn to shrapnel under the kind of pressures generated by the 22 Mag or the 17 Mach 2. I don't know the answer to that one. Call me a stick-in-the-mud if you like, but that is my opinion for what it is worth.
 
I get a little uneasy about stuff like this, especially discussed on a public forum. Yes, the 17 Mach 2 is not on the 'no go' list of antique cartridges, so your pistol would still be a legal antique, but it is this kind of stuff that might get certain people thinking it is time to re-visit the law when it comes to antiques. It is one thing to convert a pre-1898 pistol to another pre-1898 caliber that isn't on the 'no go' list. But to convert it to a cartridge that even the average Toronto suburbanite would recognize as modern is the kind of thing that might get enough of them worried to wreck things for us. Personally, I would prefer to stick with old cartridges, if not pre-1898 cartridges, if one is going to do any converting, and stay away from obviously modern cartridges. The other issue is whether these old guns turn to shrapnel under the kind of pressures generated by the 22 Mag or the 17 Mach 2. I don't know the answer to that one. Call me a stick-in-the-mud if you like, but that is my opinion for what it is worth.

Well I just called a firearms tech and got a very confusing answer (suprise suprise). She said that I could convert it, and it would still be an antique. BUT she said that if the barrell length was under 105mm it would be prohibited!? Pretty sure she was just making that up.
 
if the gun is an antique, the barrel length is unimportant. I question whether guns chambered in 22 mag or 22 wrf would actually be considered antiques because they are capable of firing regular .22 shells. I also question that most small antique pistols could safely handle 22 mag or the .17 cal rimfire shells

cheers mooncoon
 
Yeah most of the .32 rimfire guns Iv owned and used I wouldnt trust running .22 mag through...

That just seems like a recipe for disaster too me. They are made out of tool grade Wrought iron for the most part and are designed for velocities around 500-700 fps and around the 10,000 psi range I believe.

.22 mag is over double the psi. I don't know much about .17 mach 2 but my guess is its pretty hot.

The frames "especially top strap" would probably end up stretching as thats what wrough iron likes to do before it lets go.
 
Last edited:
Another thing to keep in mind is that although it might not hurt value to alter an original antique presently here in Canada, it could reduce its value in the USA and elsewhere or even here in the future if things change.
 
Well I just called a firearms tech and got a very confusing answer (suprise suprise). She said that I could convert it, and it would still be an antique. BUT she said that if the barrell length was under 105mm it would be prohibited!? Pretty sure she was just making that up.



She's is completely wrong if that is what she told you. I find when I talk to them regarding antiques they have to put me on hold and talk to a supervisor in most cases.
 
She's is completely wrong if that is what she told you. I find when I talk to them regarding antiques they have to put me on hold and talk to a supervisor in most cases.

Yea, she didn't sound too sure of herself. In any case I am just going to use the reloadable 32rf rounds and maybe do the conversion later and on a different revolver. The one I got is in pretty nice shape and definately shootable in 32rf.
 
Most if not all of the small rimfire sixguns are of a weak design and their cast-iron frames will not be able to contain the pressures of a 22WMR for long. They were built for small and underpowered BP cartridges, after all. I remember reading somewhere about a group of American antique collectors that went to an outdoor range to try, among other things, an old .32RF gun with genuine period ammo... apparently the bullets were traveling so slow that you could actually see them travel through the air with the naked eye. Evidently, pressure was a concern even back then if these cartridges were loaded to such small fps. And now these antique guns are 120+ years older on top of that!

I occasionally fire 22WMR in a modern semi-auto Marlin carbine and can definitely feel a recoil, which sometimes slams the bolt handle back with enough force to create a small imprint of a part of it on the steel receiver. All in all, I wouldn't be brave enough to fire the same stuff in a pre-1898 cast iron pocket pea shooter! A converted full size steel frame gun, maybe... but definitely not one of them tiny .32RFs!

:eek:
 
A lot of those small rimfire "poker table" guns were cheaply made, at least ones from lesser known manufactures. Old steel + cheap manufacturing I wouldn't trust for that idea.
 
Yeah I saw a Forehand and Wadsworth .32 rimfire converted to .22LR on gunbroker before but they are well built and the chambers and barrel are quite thick.

pix080935617.jpg

pix810150507.jpg

pix621577408.jpg

pix312998522.jpg

pix065748676.jpg
 
Yeah I saw a Forehand and Wadsworth .32 rimfire converted to .22LR on gunbroker before but they are well built and the chambers and barrel are quite thick.
QUOTE]

i had one in .22 mag at one time.

Cylinders chambers stuck out maybe 3-4mm and the barrel was close to flush with the end of the frame. Shoot nice. I shot maybe 100 rds from it.
 
Yeah I saw a Forehand and Wadsworth .32 rimfire converted to .22LR on gunbroker before but they are well built and the chambers and barrel are quite thick.
QUOTE]

i had one in .22 mag at one time.

Cylinders chambers stuck out maybe 3-4mm and the barrel was close to flush with the end of the frame. Shoot nice. I shot maybe 100 rds from it.

The F&W DA gun handles 22 Magnum no problem ?

Musta kicked up some eh ?
 
Most if not all of the small rimfire sixguns are of a weak design and their cast-iron frames will not be able to contain the pressures of a 22WMR for long. They were built for small and underpowered BP cartridges, after all. I remember reading somewhere about a group of American antique collectors that went to an outdoor range to try, among other things, an old .32RF gun with genuine period ammo... apparently the bullets were traveling so slow that you could actually see them travel through the air with the naked eye. Evidently, pressure was a concern even back then if these cartridges were loaded to such small fps. And now these antique guns are 120+ years older on top of that!

I occasionally fire 22WMR in a modern semi-auto Marlin carbine and can definitely feel a recoil, which sometimes slams the bolt handle back with enough force to create a small imprint of a part of it on the steel receiver. All in all, I wouldn't be brave enough to fire the same stuff in a pre-1898 cast iron pocket pea shooter! A converted full size steel frame gun, maybe... but definitely not one of them tiny .32RFs!

:eek:

It really depends on how the gun is build.

Your comments has some logical errors, the BP cartridges were filled up to the top and often quite powerful, of course you can fit more in 32 long than short, which means that the long ones are build stronger.

I have a 38 revolver from 1868 for sale on the EE and the powder charge the previous owner recommended to me was indeed what you described, you could see the bullet coming out of the barrel, hitting the board at 15 yards and bouncing back at you (that's dangerous!), but I developed a load for that gun and it actually can shoot quite powerful (which I did many times).
 
Back
Top Bottom