h Ryssel Cape Gun

jclayton

Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Location
Salmon Arm
I have just acquired an old cape gun, 20 gauge & 11mm Mauser.
Back action locks, side lever opening, damascus barrels, buffalo horn trigger guard, patch box on stock.
Only marking is on top rib which is engraved H. RYSSEL in THARAND. No other marks of any kind.
A nice old piece but I can find no info on Google.
Can anyone help?
 
There appears to be a Tharand in Germany and unless there are belgian proofs on the barrels, my guess is that H Ryssel was a small maker in the town of Tharand. I couldn't get a hit on it using google earth so presumably it is a small town. A simple google search for tharand germany does give some hits.

cheers mooncoon
 
Thanks, Mooncoon. I thought you might have some information if anyone did.
There were a total of eight guns in the estate that I acquired. The prize, for me, is a .577 Snider double rifle by E.M. Reilly & Co. Excellent bores. I shot it for the first time yesterday, a real pleasure. It is about the nicest thing in more than 70 years of collecting.
Thanks again
Jack
 
The prize, for me, is a .577 Snider double rifle by E.M. Reilly & Co. Excellent bores. I shot it for the first time yesterday, a real pleasure. It is about the nicest thing in more than 70 years of collecting.

What sort of accuracy did you get? I have one by Lang and am starting to see some hope but have not had time to cast some more minis and try a different load to eliminate cross firing. Two things seem to be critical so far; the skirt should be about .1" thick at the bottom and taper slightly thicker as it goes up to a flat topped cavity. Also it seems to be important to fill the cavity with grease or lube and to compact the powder with a plunger before putting the slug in.

cheers mooncoon
 
I only had 5 or 6 rounds loaded and everyone at the shoot in Armstrong wanted to try it
We only used the right barrel and at short range so don't know about accuracy.
I have made a multi cavity plate for casting 3/8 inch thick tapered plugs made of auto body filler to fit the base cavity of .577 minie balls. These are held in place with thick bullet lube. Can't remember where I read the article about this. I intend to cast some after I reurn from holidays in Arizona and would be glad to give you a few. Do you ever attend the Kamloops gun show? I will be there again this year at thend of April.
Regards,
Jack Stead
 
Back
Top Bottom