wHAT'S THE BEST WAY TO OPEN 7.62X54R TINS?

There really is no good way, since IIRC, the tins are sealed metal with no tabs ( or atleast the ones I had were like that). Just dont use a cutting torch! :)
 
this tool
181197_ts.JPG



If u didnt get one, maby a chisel along the edge like what this tool does.
 
Actually someone did a thread on this topic with pictures last year. It showed step by step how to open it and they did it by rolling the metal in a really clean way around the edge. It was a very neat and easy way to do it.
 
There was a can opener in the lid, I used that. It was easy. My 1yr old was "helping" me when I popped the lid, so I never got a look at the underside.

I've gotten good at opening 7.62x39 crates, this was much easier. I was thinking it would be harder.

Been wiping down the SVT, it appears to be an SVT 38 rebuilt to 40 spec, with an AVT 40 stock. Good history there, even if it looks like a parts bin. Mag is chopped, for anybody thinking of buying from Badger. This is not even close to the gun I was promised, but I'm keeping it for the reasons given above.
 
You open it like a can of Klik canned meat. Use vise grips on the key tabs and roll them. Not hard. Just don't wear a nice shirt in case you get some grease on you in the process.
 
If anyone has 1 or 2 of them openers i need some, Ive got spam cans of 762x39 i need to open properly. Ill pay for them.
 
Seems like there is some confusion over surplus x39 vs x54r. The x39 has pull tabs that you can use visegrips on like a sardine can. The x54r is a sealed can like tuna and you need an opener or chisel to open it.
 
The supplied can opener works really well for the X54 ammo. For the X39, just pull the tabs in the right order. I believe you start with the right rear one. Just pull and wiggle back and forth, they come apart easily. Was surprised to see the X54 wrapped in little paper packages, like 20rd bithday presents.

I'd still hate to have to open either crate in a combat situation though!
 
Seems like there is some confusion over surplus x39 vs x54r. The x39 has pull tabs that you can use visegrips on like a sardine can. The x54r is a sealed can like tuna and you need an opener or chisel to open it.


No confusion here, Ive got a s**tload of Czech x39 and x54 put away for a rainy day. I acquired 10 spam cans of Norinco x39 (750rd tins) they originally came with a big "Key" like on corned beef cans but they could not be found when cleaning up an estate we were taking care of. plus i like the look of those can openers lol
 
Back
Top Bottom