Colt 1851 Original Parts vs "repro"

CMichaud

CGN frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
72   0   1
I have searched the forums and seen guys talk about using repro parts in originals (mostly springs and the like with some mods) but am also curious as to whether any of the repro cylinders, grips and/or barrels can be dropped into an antique as well (without massive mods taking place).

Thanks
 
Last edited:
I have searched the forums and seen guys talk about using repro parts in originals (mostly springs and the like with some mods) but am also curious as to whether any of the repro cylinders, grips and/or barrels can be dropped into an antique as well (without massive mods taking place).

Thanks

In theory you can replace every single part of an original with new parts, but AFAIAA, if you replace the pressure-bearing components like a barrel and cylinder, the gun is then classed as a NEW gun, and no longer fulfils the definition of a replica in Canadian law.

In that way, over a period of time, you could, in theory, build an entirely new gun out of replacement parts....

On the other paw, I could be wrong.

tac
 
On the other paw, I could be wrong.

tac

Yeah, that last part sounds about right. Just because you assume that's what the law says doesn't make it so! So please don't spread extra confusion, as there's enough of that to go around already.

In reality, only the frame of the gun is considered as being the "firearm". In other words, that's the only part that's registered and needs a proper license. If you happen to have an antique frame (deemed a non-firearm), you are free to build around it as much as you please, as long as you don't put any parts which would make it fire cartridges on the "no go" list.

In short, feel free to put repro parts on your old iron if that's what you want to do as long as the frame is not swapped out (you'd need a proper license to buy a new frame anyway, same as any other modern handgun). As for compatibility, that's another issue altogether and I guess the only positive way to know if repro parts would fit on an original would be to contact the repro parts manufacturers and find out first hand. Another way would be to find out what can be modified and made to fit.

Good luck, it sounds like a fun project.

:)
 
Not counting on it but wondering if anyone has actually done it. I reckon the sear and bolt spring will fit easy enough with some minor tweaks but I wondering if anyone actually tried a new cylinder or barrel on an existing antique frame etc.

Maybe one of the repro companies is closer etcÉ

Cheers
 
I have not checked the small parts but there is a difference in size between the original and the new with regards to the cylinder, the barrel and the cylinder pivot. I suspect you can use the mainspring, hammer and hand but that is a guess not knowledge

cheers mooncoon
 
I have a Uberti 1851 Navy .36 reproduction and the nipples are the same thread pitch and size as the original Colt,I don't know if the cylinder was made to the Colt pattern or not. If you send me some pictures front and rear with the dimensions,overall length,diameter and the size of the hole in the middle I can check it against mine.
If you don't actually have original parts and you want to find out anyway there are drawings with dimensions at the U.S. Patent office as well as other sources on the Internet.
 
Don't count on parts of one manufacturers repro fitting the same model made by another manufacturer. Uberti, Armi san paulo, and other handgun parts may have slightly different dimesions.

Also an 1860 colt army repro barrel (armi san marco) will not fit an original as the locating pins on the bottom of the barrel do not quite fit.
 
Back
Top Bottom