45-70 Question

cooterdog

Regular
EE Expired
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Location
Williams Lake BC
Does anybody have any recomendations for a single shot 45-70 shooting black powder loads mainly? Looking to find one prefer a new in Canada. May be used to shoot smokless too but not sure.
 
You could look at the Pedersoli website for single shot Sharps and Remington Springfield Trapdoor reproductions in 45-70.

I don't know if Browning is still making the Model 1885 in 45-70, but that is another possibility.

I think Uberti is making the Model 1885. I don't know what calibers, though. Check out their website.

If you want the ultimate (in my opinion) go to the Shilohrifle.com website and take your choice of different single shot configurations. In my opinion, Shiloh is the cream of the crop.
 
stick with the sharps if you are using black powder.

a lot of the 1885s,rugers (also no good for BP sillywet) are to picky to clean the block out.

rem RBs are not to bad to get the block out of.
 
I'm right fond of my RB but have my sights set on a Sharps version one day.
there's a Buffalo classic on the EE for $350...be a good starter til you decide what you want.
Never shot BP in the one I had so can't comment there,but they'll handle a fairly stiff smokeless load.
 
My Pedersoli 30" Creedmore-style Rem RB shoots well and is easy to maintain. I bought it used and if going for a new one I would opt for the deluxe version with 34" barrel, dbl triggers and better sights. Gunroom in Kitchener carries Pedersolis and will ship across Canada.
 
My Pedersoli 30" Creedmore-style Rem RB shoots well and is easy to maintain. I bought it used and if going for a new one I would opt for the deluxe version with 34" barrel, dbl triggers and better sights. Gunroom in Kitchener carries Pedersolis and will ship across Canada.

I quickly peeked a google pic. Looks like a sweet one. Now to find one!
 
I shoot alot of Black Powder as I have two .50 cal front stuffers (flint and percusion). Having settled on a Rolling Block now comes the "Where Can I Get One?" "What Brand?"
 
I shoot alot of Black Powder as I have two .50 cal front stuffers (flint and percusion). Having settled on a Rolling Block now comes the "Where Can I Get One?" "What Brand?"

I see you are in Williams Lake. I'll bet that there'll be a few used rolling blocks at the annual Kamloops show if you aren't in a big hurry.

Chris.
 
For 2 grand you could build a rolling block on a antique action pm me if interested I know a rolling block collector with actions with a greenmountain barrel or a Ron smith barrel to any dimention you could want .
 
Take a look at Shooters Choice / The Gun Room in Waterloo ON. They stock a lot of Pedersoli Rolling Blocks and have the prices on their website. I have a couple Pedersolis from them.
 
Ok so a Rolling Block is easier to clean Black Powder. Are there any disadvantages to them? I see there are 45-90's are they better then the 45-70 in anyway? Agian this will be black powder for hunting and target. All Sugestions are welcome!
 
I wouldnt say a rolling block is any harder or easier to clean than any other single shot cartidge action.

.45-70 is nice in that smokeless ammo is common and so are cases.

The longer .45-90 (or 45-110 or 45 120) will cost a little more for the brass to load, and ammo is almost non existant here. These rounds are more so suited to black powder, where .45-70 has much more smokeless powder data and loads available if wanted. The longer cases will hold more black powder than shorter ones. (.45 120 more than .45 70 etc)
 
I wouldnt say a rolling block is any harder or easier to clean than any other single shot cartidge action.

.45-70 is nice in that smokeless ammo is common and so are cases.

The longer .45-90 (or 45-110 or 45 120) will cost a little more for the brass to load, and ammo is almost non existant here. These rounds are more so suited to black powder, where .45-70 has much more smokeless powder data and loads available if wanted. The longer cases will hold more black powder than shorter ones. (.45 120 more than .45 70 etc)

I'm set on 45-70 30" hex with double triggers. Now to find one as I collect my supplies!
 
Back
Top Bottom