Cap n Ball Revolver

fwm

CGN Regular
Rating - 100%
355   0   1
Location
S.W ONT.
I'm just getting started with a Pietta 1860 Army and I'm looking for opinions on what is better for loading cap n ball revolvers. Is it better to load the revolver assembled, or use a cylinder loader? I guess it comes down to which is worse for the gun, the wedge being removed each time I load or the wear and tear on the loading lever. Also a second question has anyone been succesful in ordering accesories from Cabelas in the US? I have looked at the site sponsors websites, but the items I want are either sold out, or twice the price. Any help is appreciated.
 
You can get spare cylinders for your gun and load them separately but you will need a loading stand with a lever similar to your gun. I load my gun by propping it up against a couple of sand bags pour in some powder a bit of filler put the ball on and press into cylinder. You have a reproduction which is mean't to be shot so wear and tear is a good thing. You don't have to pull the wedge all the way out of the barrel, the screw and spring should hold it in. The loading lever is case hardened so it can take a lot of use before it shows any wear. Use a small rubber hammer to tap the wedge in and out,this will take some of the bluing off but if you are worried about it it can be fixed. No need to hit the barrel with the hammer, just tap until the wedge is almost flush then push out with your thumbnail.
Try Track of the Wolf in the States if you can't buy locally (which I try to do :bangHead: ) they have a very good on-line store and are prompt and professional.
You are about to find out why they invented the cartridge :eek:......:D
 
I agree with Mauser Mike, with Colt pattern revolvers I use a loading stand. If I had Remingtons, I would definitely invest in a cylinder loader.

Having to pull the wedge and retaining screw every time would be a pain in the ass.
 
Funny never thought I would say this but I actually like loading my 1858: powder, wad, ball, lever lube. It may take longer but that's why I bought it lol.
 
Last edited:
I made my on loading stand, works well.


I agree with Mauser Mike, with Colt pattern revolvers I use a loading stand. If I had Remingtons, I would definitely invest in a cylinder loader.

Having to pull the wedge and retaining screw every time would be a pain in the ass.
 
My local range doesn't like black powder shooters loading the cylinder while its in the gun. They prefer you use a loading stand. Just something to think about.
 
My local range doesn't like black powder shooters loading the cylinder while its in the gun. They prefer you use a loading stand. Just something to think about.

Sounds like an ill informed bunch. Do they want people to take the tube off a lever gun to load it too? :runaway: :rolleyes:

On an original I would think about a loading press maybe. And some of the short sheriffs models don't have much leverage with the tiny little lever. Other than that its the way the gun was designed to be loaded and has worked pretty well for 150 years. :D
 
I wouldn't be shocked if there was no reasoning, really. Front-stuffers make a lot of people nervous, just because they aren't familiar to them. (For instance, my range doesn't want me to leave my unloaded BP revolver lying down on the bench with all my other unloaded guns - even with the cylinder out. No, it's got to be standing on its loading stand. :) Because it might load and cap itself and then go off, I guess.) Might be a good time to educate some range officers by letting them play with your gun . . . but it's an uphill battle, to be sure.
 
I wouldn't be shocked if there was no reasoning, really. Front-stuffers make a lot of people nervous, just because they aren't familiar to them. (For instance, my range doesn't want me to leave my unloaded BP revolver lying down on the bench with all my other unloaded guns - even with the cylinder out. No, it's got to be standing on its loading stand. :) Because it might load and cap itself and then go off, I guess.) Might be a good time to educate some range officers by letting them play with your gun . . . but it's an uphill battle, to be sure.

Shooting BP for 25 years the safety habits that go with it are so second nature that I sometimes forget how unfamiliar other people might be.

I RO at a local range and sometimes people new to BP scare the heck out of me while they and everyone around them see nothing wrong. "The other RO's never said that I shouldn't shoot my flinter with an open can of powder a foot away on the bench. I leave my .22 shells on the bench when I shoot....." :eek::eek:
But then they make funny faces when I blow down the barrel after a shot. Or take the revolver away from the line to load.

Educating people by letting them give it a go and make some smoke is definately the way to go. Everyone loves doing that! :D
 
I load my 1858 new army on the pistol, I do: Powder, Pre lubed Button patch, Ball and thats it.

Simple. The button patch is lubed and seals the powder from the ball :) (but i sometimes wonder is it a must to add lub on top of the bullet to seal it again? I only load when i plan to shoot.)

Its Fast and simple. I just stand the pistol on a sandbag and off i go.
 
I load both my Remington 58's and Colt 51's and 60's with the cylinders in the gun. But I did make up a loading stand to help out by providing a third hand to hold the gun while I putz around with all the other stuff.

The cowboy action group I shoot with and where I do a lot of my BP C&B revolver shooting understands that it ain't "loaded" until the caps are being put on. Same with me. I work to ensure that my hands do not pass in front of the cylinder's front face while capping "just in case". And for a while I was wearing a leather glove on the hand I used for holding the gun while capping. But now, quite a few hundred shots later, I guess I've learned to trust them more.
 
Out of curiosity, how many of you guys shoot antique cap and ball revolvers? I'd really like to get my hands on an 1851 Colt Navy that I could legally shoot on the family farm, but I wouldn't want to wreck the gun (or anything else).

Also, I know it's relatively easy to import antique firearms from the US, but I was wondering if there was any leap in difficulty between an antique long gun and an antique revolver.

Is there a thread on ordering from the US that I am perhaps missing?
 
Back
Top Bottom