Calling all Colt aficionados. Help with old poster please *Pic heavy*

Noel

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
245   0   0
With the passing of my Great Uncle in Novemeber I was promised some of his old pictures from the leather harness shop in the basement. Finally got up there but I only came home with one. I sure would have loved to bring home the Goodwin prints but.......:(

I think this one is really neat and you guys might like it too. Far as value goes, it is priceless to me being an heirloom. It is worn, stained and tattered but a gem all the same.

Would be interested in knowing the approximate age.
I suspect it is early 1900s since it has the Annie Oakley slant to it. Interesting that it is a Leopard, sugesting Africa but perhaps it was meant to be more South America themed. I doubt canned hunts were quite up and going yet. Seems it should have been a mountain lion but perhaps the theme was a good sidearm no matter where you are. Print seems to be Spanish perhaps????
The material appears to be a canvas paper but it is a print, not painted on. Hopefully the pics will show that.

All four edges have been cut from whatever it was in whether a framed print or even a calendar, I do not know. It always hung from a nail with a strip of silver tape on the top and bottom edge. As you can see it looks hour glass in the picture, it is tha actual shape of the edges, not the camera.

Any input appreciated.:)

DSC04096.jpg

DSC04100.jpg

DSC04097.jpg

DSC04098.jpg

DSC04099.jpg


From my 1908 Sears catolog they have these models listed for Colts. No idea if the artist was anal like Charlie Russel and using an actual revolver or just winging it.
DSC04107.jpg

DSC04104.jpg
 
Fantastic poster there Bud! I'm pretty sure that cat is meant to be a Jaguar. As you can see, the copy is in Spanish. Colt was pretty aggressive with their advertising back then down in Old Mejico and South America. Congrats. Hope you find a good, period looking frame for it. My guess is 'teens or early Twenties for a date.
 
Great poster! Looks to be of Spanish origin to me, but if the translation is "automatic pistols" they've got the wrong gun in her hand which might be a mute point 'cause I think her hair's about to get redder regardless of gun.
Blair
 
Great poster! Looks to be of Spanish origin to me, but if the translation is "automatic pistols" they've got the wrong gun in her hand which might be a mute point 'cause I think her hair's about to get redder regardless of gun.
Blair

:p Too funny, I was thinking the same thing.
Reuben's Dad and his brothers were avid hunters but he did not recall any of them having pistoleros of any sort. Even a s a little kid this one always caught my eye. In hind sight it is likely a heck of a lot more valuble than the Goodwin print anyway.

Nice to be not too far off on speculating the age. I'll built a proper barn wood frame for it when I get a chance. Looks like the Duke and his large loop just got bumped out of position for the media room wall.
 
Jaguar. S.American cat, and some are black too. When I was a kid over 30 years back my friends uncle had a complete Jag rug he got in S America as a gift. I still have a photo of it.
Spanish or Portugese will help narrow down which S.American country the poster is from.
That is a very nice find!
 
Great picture! I love the old ads, they didn't always put much thought into reality. I guess there's not much there today either..... "What ya doin today Molly?" "Ah roping Jags & lions".
My Spanish sucks worse than my French, but I believe Pete is right. The ad refers to both.
 
I don't speak Spanish but I'm gonna guess it says,
Revolvers and (e) pistols automatic
Colt
I spent a fair amount of time in my younger days in various Latin American countries (all good, in case anyone was wondering) but my Spanish has gotten real rusty over the years. Pete is right, 'Revolvers and Automatic Pistols' would be correct.
 
Except it's Portuguese, not Spanish. ("And" is "y" in Spanish and "e" in Italian and Portuguese. You can tell it's not an Italian poster, though, because the plural for "pistola" in Italian is "pistole". I speak varying bits of all three.)

So it's from Brasil (as they spell it there). :)
http://www.coltforum.com/forums/
By gum, you are right! Like I said, I've gotten rusty; Portuguese and Spanish have started to blur in my brain.:redface:
 
Well kids, I managed to get some pics of the Goodwin prints, anyone who has been around the older generations at all should be familiar with this work. Plain and simple, almost in a C.M. Russel fashion but with a unique spin on things.

"A Reel Adventure - Round One"
DSC04459.jpg


"Where seconds mean minutes"
DSC04455.jpg


"Golden opportunity"
DSC04456.jpg


And my favorite "Upsetting their calculations" with a Remington Model 8. I hope it was in 35 Rem for their sake.
DSC04458.jpg


DSC04460.jpg


Calendar from 1945, from Gramma's attic
DSC04461.jpg
 
They are going back to the farm but I have been given dibs when they don't want them anymore.

I would hedge my bet your favorite one is the raft and the moose on the run, two of your most favorite things. Fast cold water and a mammoth sized beast to pack out.
 
Back
Top Bottom