Cost of 17mh2/hmr vs. 22lr

In my experience with the hmr and 22 lr, I could buy a brick of 22 shells for the price of box of 17 hmr shells (almost). 14.99 for 550 22's or 11.99-13.99 for a box of 50 hmr shells. But add the fun factor for blowing away gophers and it might even out. I've sold my 17's and kept my 22's.
 
I made the comparison of 17HMR vs 22 Hornet (handloads). The Hornet won in terms of price, trajectory & power :)
 
Not to hijack , but I was wondering what 17 rimfire is more popular ?
I've been on the fence with these , I don't need a gun I can't get ammo for .
But they are intresting
 
Laniru said:
A closer comparison would be 17HMR and 9mm...

Here too. I almost think that 9mm is cheaper than 17HMR....

EDIT: Just checked Wholesale Sports cataloge: 9mm ammo is cheaper than 17 HMR ($9.99 to $10.99).
 
RUPZUK said:
Not to hijack , but I was wondering what 17 rimfire is more popular ?
I've been on the fence with these , I don't need a gun I can't get ammo for .
But they are intresting

HMR is by far the mor popular of the two
 
And much more useful too. There's not much that a 17Mach2 will do that a 22LR won't. HMR has higher velocity, energy, explosive effect, and accuracy at longer ranges than .22LR. Also, HMR is easier to find than M2.

It would be easier to compare 17HMR to .22Magnum, both have similar capabilities.
 
The 17mach2 shoots much flatter than the 22lr, and ammunition costs about half the price of the 17HMR. As well, the 17mach2 and 17hmr tend to be much more accurate than the lower priced 22lr loads. I am paying less that $7 per box of 17mach2. I won't pay $13 to $15 for 17HMR loads, when I can load for my 22Hornet for about the same price, and it is far superior to the 17HMR.
 
17 mach 2

The 17mach2 shoots much flatter than the 22lr, and ammunition costs about half the price of the 17HMR. As well, the 17mach2 and 17hmr tend to be much more accurate than the lower priced 22lr loads. I am paying less that $7 per box of 17mach2. I won't pay $13 to $15 for 17HMR loads, when I can load for my 22Hornet for about the same price, and it is far superior to the 17HMR.


I agree and I will also say that most people that crap all over the Mach 2 haven't used it. I don't believe it is going anywhere just yet.

Greg
 
Back
Top Bottom