2 band 1862 Enfield - value?

LawrenceN

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
248   0   0
I need a little input. I haven't seen it, or even pictures, but a buddy told me that a local seller has a 2 band 1862 Enfield and asking $350.00. I don't know if it's percussion lock or a snider conversion. Now I didn't just fall off a turnip truck, so I have a pretty good idea what to look for (like corrosion, water damage, barrel pitting, etc.), but presupposing it's in nice shape, what would the fair market value be? Any knowledgeable input would be much appreciated.
 
Thanks for the information guys. Here's an update. The lady sent me pictures, and the thing is a mess. I'll see it later today, but from what I saw of the pics, it's in sad shape. It looks like a cut-down 3 band. The ramrod/cleaning rod, is not correct, the barrel is rusty as hell inside and out, the action doesn't look too bad but there's no nipple protector. I couldn't see a metal end cap on the forestock or a bayonet lug, and the pic was too bad to make out if there's even a fore sight, which is why I think it's a chopped 3 band. In my opinion, it's a $50. - $75.00 parts rifle or wall hanger. Thoughts?
 
the thing is a mess. It looks like a cut-down 3 band. The ramrod/cleaning rod, is not correct, the barrel is rusty as hell inside and out, the action doesn't look too bad but there's no nipple protector. . In my opinion, it's a $50. - $75.00 parts rifle or wall hanger. Thoughts?

You seem to be saying it is a Snider and not a percussion gun. If so and if the action is salvageable, it is probably worth $100 - $150. Conceivably you could find a barrel for a 58 musket and use that to replace the existing barrel.

If the gun is a percussion gun, I would drop the price to about $75 or a bit more for the lock and trigger guard mostly.

cheers mooncoon
 
Thanks all, especially Mooncoon. To Steppenwolf, the lady sent me the pics via something called "skydive" (God I hate Microsoft!!!). I couldn't make them bigger, and I got a notice saying that I had to get the lady's permission to open the album. When I went back into my e-mail, the pics were not displayed, all I got was the red x on a blank field. I thought computers were supposed to make life easier?
 
So is it a snider or a muzzle loader? Both have "nipple protectors" though in the case of the Snider it protects the firing pin. A bucket of rust is still just that and the value goes down.
 
A nicely done cut down 3 bander can look very close to a 2 band Sgt's Model. However the measurement to the 1st Band is the obvious give away, no matter how well it's done.
Beware.
 
A nicely done cut down 3 bander can look very close to a 2 band Sgt's Model. However the measurement to the 1st Band is the obvious give away, no matter how well it's done.
Beware.

I just saw one of those at a show. Looked very much like a Sgt's Model, but it had no bayo lug and was a II*.
 
Back
Top Bottom