Making a rustic gun rack for a vintage rifle.

Win 38-55

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
42   0   0
I've had a piece of quarter-sawn Burr Oak laying around the basement for a number of years now and was wondering what to do with it. Recently, it hit me ...... why not a nice rustic gun rack. I wanted some old looking, rustic-type hooks to mount on it and couldn't find any. Then I took a look at ht****tp://gobblerforge.com . By gum! He makes some nice stuff for some very reasonable prices. I ordered a couple hooks that were modifications of one that he showed on his site, with one hook having a wider radius than the other to give a nice fit to my old Winchester Model 1873. Here are some details and photos .....

First, since the oak plank was not the same width at either end, I had to figure out where the approximate centre line was and mark it with two pieces of masking tape. The keyhole hangers mounted on the back of the plank were measured up from that centre line as shown below ....

back-upload.jpg


The two keyhole hangers were spaced to match the studs in the wall where it would hang. I used a hammer and chisel to carve a little recess for the hangers, and drilled a slot inside the recess so the screw heads on the wall would be able to slip inside the keyhole. Here is a closeup of the keyhole hanger in its notch ....

Keyhole.jpg


Once the keyhole hangers were in place, and before I mounted the hooks, I hung the plank on the wall and then measured down from the ceiling using a strip of masking tape across the front of the plank to mark a horizontal line, so I could hang the hooks in such a way that the rifle was straight, more or less, with the plank and on the wall. Then I took the hooks and cut a thin strip of leather from a leather strap I had and glued a strip into the inside radius of each hook to provide a soft cushion for the rifle. Here is a photo of the hooks with the leather strips glued in, one hook already mounted on the plank, and the strip of masking tape that I used to line up the rifle and determine the position of the hooks. ....

hooks.jpg


Once this was done, I mounted the plank on the wall. In spite of all my trying to figure out where the centre line of the plank was, it didn't really look right. Turns out, it looked right if the top edge of the plank was more or less level and the bottom edge sloped up. I mounted one end of the plank and then moved the other end up and down until I figured out what looked right. I then moved one of the wall screws up 1/4" and hung the rack. Perfect!! Here are some shots of the rack and closer ups of the hooks ....

forearmhook.jpg


rearhook.jpg


wholerackhanging.jpg


I really like the look that this rack and hooks gives to the display of the old '73. Because of the thickness of the wrought iron hooks, it holds the rifle away from the plank a bit which really presents the old rifle beautifully. You can't really see this very well in the photos, but it just adds something extra to the rifle.

Here is a photo showing how the cable lock is hidden ...

lockbehind.jpg


I am extremely pleased with these hooks. In fact, I am now trying to figure out a rack that will hold four old Winchesters and Marlins and will be ordering some more hooks from Gobblerforge when I've figured out the design. That will probably take me several months to finalize the design, as this is a busy time of year for me.
 
Last edited:
This looks beautiful and I really like it! :)

One question though... are you going to be removing all firing pins on those Winchesters to make them incapable of firing 'as is'? I hate to be a kill joy, but the Gun-Gestapo can make your life a living hell if first responders (police, ambulance, fire) ever enter your house following a 911 call or if the friendly neighborhood cop or CFO makes a surprise visit to inspect storage compliance. Moreover, scenarios where government employees could notice & report such 'unsafe practices' are many (like someone coming to the house to check the power meter, mailman looking through living room window and noticing "dangerously unsecured" guns on the wall, etc). Personally, I don't think that hanging a Winchester WITH a trigger lock on the wall would look right...

Storage laws... "if it only saves one life", eh?

:rolleyes:


Edit: I forgot that trigger locks don't even work on these lever guns... so it's cable lock only, I guess.
 
Last edited:
It is probably easier to disconnect the mainspring than a firing pin and you should be able to leave in position just not connected to the hammer or without tension on the hammer

cheers mooncoon
 
That looks great, but like the others posted it needs to locked. I know with bolt actions you can remove the bolt but not sure in this case.
 
Looks Great!

That looks like an antique, and not even classified as a real firearm so it can be displayed like that. Or, you probably live in a rural environment and are allowed to have a rifle handy in case of varmints. Or, man the inside of your gun locker is huge!

Anyways, the hanger turned out great, I've seen some old school hooks made out of horse-shoes and other made out of railroad spike that looked goo too.
 
I took the photo without the cable lock for the sake of aesthetics and because I took the photos for three different US forums (otherwise, there is always a discussion of crazy Canadian gun laws). The cable lock runs through the lever and around the grip. The lock is hidden behind the grip of the butt stock, which is another reason why I like the gun set out a bit from the back board or plank. This design keeps the lock relatively unobtrusive to detract from the display of the rifle as little as possible. Here are two more photos, the first one showing what it looks like with the cable lock and the second one showing how the lock is hidden behind the buttstock grip .....

lockfront.jpg


lockbehind.jpg


Fulllock.jpg
 
Last edited:
win 38-55, very nice ,I saw a picture of the other winchesters on display that's a nice looking room, are guns on display forbidden by law in Canada?
I am from Europe and its legal for me to have my guns on display the way I do(livingroom), I would love to have a seperate gun room but my house is just too small
1003135.jpg
 
Nice display of Smiths and Colts, Bob Ford! It is legal to display our firearms on the wall, but there are certain requirments regarding locking that are contingent upon whether the firearm is antique, non-restricted or restricted. Winchester leverguns fall into the non-restricted category, which require a trigger lock, or cable lock or some other means to make the rifle unfireable, such as removing the bolt, if one is going to display it on the wall of ones home.
 
win 38-55, very nice ,I saw a picture of the other winchesters on display that's a nice looking room, are guns on display forbidden by law in Canada?
I am from Europe and its legal for me to have my guns on display the way I do(livingroom), I would love to have a seperate gun room but my house is just too small
1003135.jpg

Man, that is a nice collection indeed! Congratulations!

:)

As for our laws, no one ever accused them of being fair or making sense. They were essentially a knee-jerk reaction by a so called "liberal" government to some events that had absolutely nothing to do with laws in place, as they would've occurred regardless (school shooting with an illegally modified firearm... illegally modified to begin with even before laws were changed, not to mention that murder happens to be illegal too). But apparently more laws is all that was needed... not actual prevention via better social programs and better mental health care. :rolleyes:

Mind telling me what European country you're from? As far as I know, Europe is becoming more and more repressive about firearm ownership in general due to the socialist ways of the "New Union". It's nice to see that some countries still haven't lost all their common sense to anti-gun fear mongering perpetrated by some clueless individuals in society. I sincerely hope it stays that way.
 
Man, that is a nice collection indeed! Congratulations!

:)

As for our laws, no one ever accused them of being fair or making sense. They were essentially a knee-jerk reaction by a so called "liberal" government to some events that had absolutely nothing to do with laws in place, as they would've occurred regardless (school shooting with an illegally modified firearm... illegally modified to begin with even before laws were changed, not to mention that murder happens to be illegal too). But apparently more laws is all that was needed... not actual prevention via better social programs and better mental health care. :rolleyes:

Mind telling me what European country you're from? As far as I know, Europe is becoming more and more repressive about firearm ownership in general due to the socialist ways of the "New Union". It's nice to see that some countries still haven't lost all their common sense to anti-gun fear mongering perpetrated by some clueless individuals in society. I sincerely hope it stays that way.
thanks ,the country is still called Belgium ,but for howlong? I don't know:D
now when it comes to collecting guns this country is collectors heaven,all single action colt's made before 1940 are free for sale (except the 357 mag)
you are not allowed to fire them ,if you do than you need a permit for the gun,but not only SAA colts are free for sale ,if you can find a 1911 in 45 ACP, russian order or a norwegian köngsberg in 45 acp ,you can own these guns free ,no limits on the collection guns , here is a list of the guns that are free for sale , the guns are in working order and not scrap metal ( deactivated guns )
http://www.1mail.be/1mail_files/useruploads/Wapenbeurs/vrije wapens.pdf
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom