shipping of antique from U.S. questions

Done it a number of times. The only $$ at the border is the HST, unless you are under or around the $$ you are allowed to bring across anyway.
 
Count on at least 10%
here's some numbers from a revolver purchase-
value for duty(can) $1581.92
duty - 0
excise tax - 0
GST/HST - $79.10
PST - $79.10
Handling fee - $8.00
Total payable - $166.20
 
If they want to be nasty there is also a potential duty exclusive of PST/GST/HST on firearms with manufacturing orgins outside of North America. I can't remember off hand what the percentage is but it's there. Most of the time they just hit you with the sales taxes.

What kills me is the thought how many potential times these 110+ year old firearms have been taxed during their existance.
 
If they want to be nasty there is also a potential duty exclusive of PST/GST/HST on firearms with manufacturing orgins outside of North America. I can't remember off hand what the percentage is but it's there. Most of the time they just hit you with the sales taxes.

What kills me is the thought how many potential times these 110+ year old firearms have been taxed during their existance.

Thought that was negated because it's over 100 years old...
 
Have the dealer ship by the " United States International Postal Service ", with papers saying it is an antique. You should only pay the HST or PST and GST.
I just had a 1884 Springfield shipped from Springfield Ohio, during Christmas to Vancouver. It was shipped priority, insured and took 7 days to arrive, including Canadian Customs in Richmond. Plus HST of course
.
 
I stand corrected, it appears items over 100 years old should be duty free, other wise a 7% duty applies to younger firearms with origins outside North America.
 
I believe the 100 year law is only USA. In Canada, the date was Jan.1/1847 if my customs memory is still good. If anyone has a current McGoldricks around check it out or it might be on line now. Too long retired...
 
No duty on anything made in the USA alot of Antiques are US made.
Free trade covers Duty on anthing made in NA.
I never been charged duty on webleys either tho.
 
Back
Top Bottom