Unanswered E-Mails

trebor2880

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
53   0   0
Location
Ontario
Don't know where to "thread" this, so seeing how it is concerning ammo, I"ll ask it hear. What is your luck at recieving replies to e-mails sent to our sponsers? Mine's not too good and I missed out on some 7.62x54R ammo, because I counted on the reply, via e-mail, instear of phoning. Too late now, all gone. "If your not going to answer your E-mails, then don't put your E-Mail address in". There, I feel better now, and learned a lesson. Going to buy my ammo at Frontier Firearms, my cost more, may cost less. Don't know because of the unanswered e-mails to other companys concerning freight costs.
 
It is like anything else some of the guys must be sitting looking at their computers all the time and some of them must never look at their computers.
From the point of the buyer it is a real pain in the backside when they don't reply.

Ken.
 
OP, this is a pet peeve of mine as well, and not just in the firearms industry. I regularly receive no response to questions, or responses take weeks, in other industries as well. If I am trying to spend my money with your company, you should make an effort to make that as easy as possible.

As you say, if you aren't going to answer your email, why the f**k did you put an email address on your website?

Mark
 
OP, this is a pet peeve of mine as well, and not just in the firearms industry. I regularly receive no response to questions, or responses take weeks, in other industries as well. If I am trying to spend my money with your company, you should make an effort to make that as easy as possible.

As you say, if you aren't going to answer your email, why the f**k did you put an email address on your website?

Mark

Hi Mark, I don't know you but I like you!! Like you said........ put forth a little effort, or customers are just as likely to boycott you permanently, as become loyal customers. Retailers should remember that you took time for them, and it's your hard earned cash that built their empires brick by brick. or...... one customer at a time, it can all fall down.

Cheers!
 
To add to my previous comment, e-mail is notoriously unreliable. If the anti-spam filter on the receiving end is set too high, legitimate e-mails can easily end up in the trash.

IMO the customer needs to do his part. When an e-mail I've sent goes unanswered, I don't automatically assume someone on the other end read it and ignored it or isn't taking the time to check his inbox. I think it's in good faith to give the business the benefit of the doubt and take the time to call them.
 
To add to my previous comment, e-mail is notoriously unreliable. If the anti-spam filter on the receiving end is set too high, legitimate e-mails can easily end up in the trash.

IMO the customer needs to do his part. When an e-mail I've sent goes unanswered, I don't automatically assume someone on the other end read it and ignored it or isn't taking the time to check his inbox. I think it's in good faith to give the business the benefit of the doubt and take the time to call them.

Fair enough....... And I should have stated that I have had several similar experiences recently and wound up a little disappointed. The replies I received stated "sorry for the delay" ( but really a week is too long if recieved IMO ), and I realize most shops are busy, but I felt like when I have money to spend like most others I get a little excited about a particular product, and it seems sometimes as if I can't find a place that wants it. On the other hand, just last week there were two dealers I called to source a revolver and had money in hand and neither shop answered the phone after several attempts during regular business hours middle of the week, and when they refer you to email on their site, that is where the issue is for me.

Having said that, I would also need to state there are very helpful dealers out there I have dealt with that will bend over backwards to help. That is where I am ultimately loyal, just wish there were more of them is all......
 
Remember EMail is like Mail. Not like telephone. It's not real-time, and it's designed to be delivered and viewed at the recipient's leisure. Which is why we don't email 911 when our house is on fire.

I use email almost exclusively, but for a time-sensitive deal, you gotta get someone real-time.
 
I'm trying to buy $4-$7k worth of ammo for our club.. unbelievable how many of our sponsors are not interested in making the sale!!! From the replies I have gotten so far it seems they just can't be bothered to do it. Even got a reply from a sponsor that stated bulk orders are 1 Million rounds so thanks but no thanks wtf???? So a small Club cannot ever get an order filled from this guy?

Next week they'll be #####in' about how we buy from outside sources or non-sponsoring retailers etc.

Every year I do this for our Club and ever year it boggles my mind how difficult it is to get retailers to take our money.

Regards,
 
One more thing to remember,

some dealers out there are not exactly from the email generation. Good ol' phone suits them better.

I do agree though that if you're going to give out an email address as a means of contact, then you should give it just as much importance as a phone ring. Or at least specify that for time-sensitive inquiries, that phone should be the contact method of choice...
 
To add to my previous comment, e-mail is notoriously unreliable. If the anti-spam filter on the receiving end is set too high, legitimate e-mails can easily end up in the trash.

IMO the customer needs to do his part. When an e-mail I've sent goes unanswered, I don't automatically assume someone on the other end read it and ignored it or isn't taking the time to check his inbox. I think it's in good faith to give the business the benefit of the doubt and take the time to call them.

Very true.
Some other points to ponder for those who may not fully understand, most gun shops have fairly high security settings due to the use of the CFC/RCMP, DFAIT and banking websites. This tends to filter out many of the anonomous email accounts like hotmail, gmail, yahoo etc, it is further filtered if weird email names are used, so many potentially legitimate emails get filtered into the junk mail due to the senders email address.

Also for many of us older types emails take ALOT longer to respond to than a phone call.
About 60% of the emails we get everyday are very vague. We get many that are basically "do you have any synthetic stocks in stock?" Not enough useful info for us to really be of any help, so then the question is do we waste valuable time responding with " we need more information in order to give you a useful reply" or do we ignore it?
As busy as our shop is personally I think it is an insult to email me such a useless note.
Give me enough infomation on what you want and I will be happy to respond.

A few tips for getting the best service.

Make sure your email has enough information so that whoever is answering it knows what you want.

Avoid using acronyms. Not all of us old guys speak "alphabet soup"

A phone number is REALLY helpful, rather than a dozen emails back and forth 1 phone call will usually solve everything. Most shops now have no cost long distance plans so it is really easy for us to call you to discuss things .

Don't keep sending more emails, if the 1st 1 has not been replied to in a week, CALL Either you got filtered out, or there is something else going on, like the shop is closed for a show, computer issues are occurring, the list goes on.

Make NO mistake we ALL want your business, (money) but most shops do not have a dedicated staff standing by to instantly respond to every email as seen on TV

The small shops like mine can be the worst for internet inquiry due to the fact that I have the everyday running of the shop, answering the phone, attending to walk in clients, ordering supplies, brokering the shipments, dealing with the government on permits, inspections, transfers, payroll and then there is the actual making of the guns. Unfortunately there is only so many hours in the day. Check the time stamp on your emails and you may be surprised at the time some of us put in.

Just some prospective from the other side, hope it helps.
 
Not quite...the receiver can block read receipts...

And from a technical point of view, not all email software is compatible with read receipts. Even more so if web mails are used. The only place I have seen this work ok is with emails within the same company, if the software supports it. But throuth the Internet? Hit and miss at best.
 
filter excuses dont cut it. your in business you put an email address out there as a means of contact not as a hope for contact. for an online business emails should be a priority as opposed to a store emails should be check every couple hours IMO
 
I'm trying to buy $4-$7k worth of ammo for our club.. unbelievable how many of our sponsors are not interested in making the sale!!! From the replies I have gotten so far it seems they just can't be bothered to do it. Even got a reply from a sponsor that stated bulk orders are 1 Million rounds so thanks but no thanks wtf???? So a small Club cannot ever get an order filled from this guy?

Next week they'll be #####in' about how we buy from outside sources or non-sponsoring retailers etc.

Every year I do this for our Club and ever year it boggles my mind how difficult it is to get retailers to take our money.

Regards,

Try PMing me. I'll quote you.
Regards, Henry
 
Back
Top Bottom