Why is there no 32 Rim fire ammo being imported ?

dingus

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 98.9%
363   4   0
Location
B.C
Theres a company in South America somewhere makeing 32 Rf.
With all the guys selling any 32 RF for about a $100 a box or more in the CGN EE and it sells as fast as its listed even stuff thats not so nice looking, why is there no Canadian companys importing a few thousand rounds to sell?
Sounds like a way to make some money to me.
Is there some restrictions on dealing with South America or something :confused:

Id just like to be able to buy a few boxes eh.

Theres ALOT of antique 32 Rim fire handguns out there in collectors hands just waiting for ammo.
 
What I hear is they won't approve it for import due to the lack of a headstamp or at least that's the excuse for turning back the last order made by Ellwood Epps. Pretty stupid considering that 22 short, long and long rifle, 22 magnum, 17 HMR and 17 Mach2 don't have headstamps and are allowed for import. Nearest I can figure RCMP or NRCAN just doesn't want us to have any.....
 
There isn't enough demand.

Really! How do you know that?
it never sits in the EE long unless its green and coroded, you can never find more than a few Rds at gun shows unless your lucky.
I seen guys at a local gun show fighting knocking over stuff on tables trying to grab a full box at $45 ;)

So id think theres alot more demand than you might think.

If i could import it legally id do it myself and i know if i brought in say 200 boxes id have it sold in a few weeks just from my contacts alone.
 
Mostly because it is mainly used in prohibited firearms would be my guess. Very little demand, and NRCAN does everything they can to limit it to the stuff our Olympic team uses.
 
Mostly because it is mainly used in prohibited firearms would be my guess. Very little demand, and NRCAN does everything they can to limit it to the stuff our Olympic team uses.

Most 32 Rimfire handguns ive seen were perscribed antiques by Caliber and age not prohibs.

No firearm Licence or registration even needed to own and shoot one.
 
Last year Navy Arms replied to my email asking when to expect to see more 32 rimfire by saying they are going to import another run of 32 Long rimfire in the "near future". Group buy through Questar would be interesting if they ever get the ammo in.

Here is the email from March 2010.

cleardot.gif
Navy Arms Company

to me
show details 3/1/10

We will be importing more in the future, however at this
time, the company is under military contract and will not
be producing any commerical grade ammo until the contract has been completed. Only source we are aware of
RTG Ammo in Texas 214-361-6577 . Check back with us in a few months for an update.

Navy Arms

email Navy Arms Company <info@navyarms.com>

Glad I bought 8 boxes last time it was available, wish I had bought more. I would love 20 more boxes next time they come up for sale.
 
Last edited:
Its not easy to find down south either, took my dad some searching to find some and it was $55 a box of 50. I am sure if enough guys got together and helped put some pressure on an importer that we could get some, how much your willing to pay is a bigger question.
 
Who wants to ante up the $20K to get the ammo tested by NRC?

That's all that it takes.

<pats down pockets> Nope! Me either.

I think that realistically, there isn't enough demand for it to make it worthwhile to get the stuff in, even if the Brazilians do another production run.

$20K could probably be amortized over the contents of a sea container of ammo without driving the price up too high, but how long would it take to sell the stuff?

I don't think there is actually all that much of a demand, or prices for the few remaining 50+ years old ammo would be much higher.

Fun as it is to credit a conspiracy with keeping the stuff out of the marketplace, nobody seems all that keen on tooling up to make it, either.

Cheers
Trev
 
The misinformation spouted off in this forum about "NRCan" is astounding. Firstly it costs nowhere near $20K to have a product approved. It is $125 for the Explosives Regulatory Division (ERD, which is what everyone generalizes as "NRCan") to review a submission. Rules for ammunition have been relaxed recently whereby testing at CERL is no longer mandatory, surplus ammunition included. Corrosive primers are no longer an issue. Importers also no longer need to necessarily have the manufacturer's authorization to act on their behalf, something that is usually impossible with government or defunct arsenals. Assuming testing at CERL is required it is $2,000 per article of a given type, so that similar articles do not need to all be tested.

How do I know all of this? Being a professional explosives tech for 15 years might have something to do with it.
 
There are a whole bunch of .32 RF handguns out there that are classed as "antique" simply because the ammo is not available. The classification of antique is the only reason these guns are popular. If quantities of new ammo came in, I think the guns would immediately become prohibited, and demand would disappear.
 
I think 32 RF is a nice round but if it would be commercially available, the guns would potentially be prohibited. You can just buy Dixie cases and reload.
 
There are a whole bunch of .32 RF handguns out there that are classed as "antique" simply because the ammo is not available. The classification of antique is the only reason these guns are popular. If quantities of new ammo came in, I think the guns would immediately become prohibited, and demand would disappear.

Not as easy as that. They would have to open up and modify C-68 to do so. (incorrect, this,per the post below)

Of course, Orders In Council have been dug out for this sort of thing before, but I cannot really see it happening without some huge incident causing an uproar over rimfire pistols.

I suspect also, that most of them would vanish back into desk drawers and lockers, rather than being entered into the system. But that may just be my opinion. Kind of tough to keep a straight face claiming that registration isn't about confiscation, when you pull a move like as suggested, though. That, and that there are, on the face of it, an insignificant number of firearms that are deemed as Prescribed Antiques in the first place, makes them a low value target, IMO.

AK, the $20K figure was take from some posts a while back by one of the importers of surplus ammo, in the context of getting it tested and approved for sale. I've not read their books, so I'll take it on faith that they were not feeding us a line of s**t. If it was cheap and easy to do, though, It'd be happening more, I think.

Cheers
Trev
 
Last edited:
AK, the $20K figure was take from some posts a while back by one of the importers of surplus ammo, in the context of getting it tested and approved for sale. I've not read their books, so I'll take it on faith that they were not feeding us a line of s**t. If it was cheap and easy to do, though, It'd be happening more, I think.
The information I just told you was given to me directly by Pavel Zraly (Inspector of Explosives, Import/Export, ERD Ottawa) on Monday. It has never been $20K to approve a product unless you're approving ten different kinds at once and they ALL need testing at CERL. Given that I was meeting with ERD to discuss approval for a new product, I might know a bit about the process.
 
Back
Top Bottom