Need to ask a favor of someone with a Cody membership....

Killer Kanuck

CGN frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
79   0   0
Location
PEI
I was out tonight to take a look at a Winchester model 1886, and it just seemed like an odd combination - 40-65 caliber, heavy round barrel, and a 1/2 magazine. The muzzle end looked unnaturally flat, but I haven't seen a lot of 1886s in person, so I wouldn't be a good judge.
If I have the serial number, would it be possible for someone with a Cody membership to look up the factory configuration to see if it's still in factory original condition, or if it's been rebarreled or modified in some way?
 
Thanks Meanea. Sounds like she's still as she was when she left the factory. I'll post some pics if the owner and I can come to a deal.
 
Would this be the gun? ;)

PEI86-2.jpg


PEI86.jpg


I lettered this gun last year. The owner must be collecting letters.

Win. 1886, SN 61###
Date in: 10-17-1891
Type: Rifle
Caliber: 40/65
Barrel: Round
Trigger: Plain
1/2 Magazine
Date shipped: 10-20-1891
Order: 13048
No other information is available for this serial number.
 
That's the same one - he didn't mention that he had it lettered previously. Do the 1/2 mags always make the barrel look that beefy?
 
You 're right about the 28" barrel one I had but it didn't letter as LW barrel just 28"

Here's another one in .45-60 that I picked up when I went down to get the one that the post is about but the guy didn't want to sell it.



DSC03469.jpg


DSC03472.jpg


Win. 1886, SN 54###
Date in: 4-13-1891
Type: Rifle
Caliber: 40/65
Barrel: 1/2 Octagon
Trigger: Plain
1/2 Magazine
Date shipped: 4-13-1891
Order: 3099
 
A friend of mine has a 45-90 with half mag and round barrel with British proods, and what appears to be a heavy barrel. It has not been measured yet so I do not know if it is a heavier barrel, or if it is due to optics. Nice looking guns in that combo.
Matt
 
Well, a deal was struck, and later on in the week the 1/2 mag 40-65 will be in my possession. Now to hunt down some brass and dies :D
 
Back
Top Bottom