One of the fiddly jobs in assembling a lock kit or building a lock is filling the square hole where the hammer or #### attaches to the tumbler shaft. A few months ago, I picked up an idea from the ALR site, that I thought was worth passing on. The tool is a home made broach made out of drill rod and the temper drawn to about dark brown. In use I drill a round hole the diameter of the dimension across the flats of the tumbler shaft and then hammer the broach into the hole. I advance one or two teeth at a time then remove and check for fit and drive the broach in a bit deeper. The broach allows me to get a perfect fit in 10 or 15 minutes. Important to drive the broach from the inside of the hammer which leaves a slightly tapered hole. I also have to file the corner notches to get the broach started but after that, all cutting is done with the broach. For dimensions, the broach illustrated is made from 3/8" drill rod and is about 4" long
cheers mooncoon
cheers mooncoon


















































