"cut shells" anyone heard of this before??

thehulk

Member
EE Expired
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Location
Niagara
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k3M46XVfVOU&feature=feedu

Is this safe or a bad idea?? ive never seen or heard of "cut shells" before.
 
As mentioned in the video...."poor mans slug"

Not the greatest.... but I guess if you were starving or in an emergency situation.....

Several problems.... besides the potential for the shell casing getting stuck in the barrel, poor ejection.... potential for a ruptured barrel.....etc...
 
I was told by a good friend who's a Newfie that more moose and caribou have been shot with those then any rifle hahaha. He said whenever they went out for birds or his dad they never ha a rifle and if they stumbled across something they'd just cut the shell and use it as a slug.

Can't approve of it though since I've never had the balls to try it on my own gun but he had done it lots back in the day.
 
I'd like to measure the pressure generated on firing by the oversized hull being forced down the bore, and then again when it hits the choke, it must fatigue the metal!
 
I follow that channel on youtube as well, the guy seems pretty knowledgeable about most things. However, I don't think I'd be trying that too much. I know it showed a demonstration in the video, but I would be concerned about what happens to the barrel once that clears the forcing cone, while not much, the size difference of the hull could potentially be enough to cause some serious fu(kery. Still cool though. Maybe it will work flawlessly, maybe it'll cause problems. I would love to see some serious no b.s tests done to give an educated answer.
 
Herd of it alot but never tried. It use to be very popular down this way once so i hear. Cant imagine its real safe on the gun though. i guess thats why it was more popular here in newfoundland when more people used single barrels so theyd seee better if it was barrel jamming.
 
Thats pretty cool. Never would have thought that the whole front of the shell would go through the barrel rather then just the crimp opening up.

Nifty, I will try it a few times on one of my cheaper guns.
 
Thats pretty cool. Never would have thought that the whole front of the shell would go through the barrel rather then just the crimp opening up.

Nifty, I will try it a few times on one of my cheaper guns.

The guys I have seen shoot them check the barrel after firing one before reloading since it is common for pieces of the hulls to say in the barrel, sometime the entire hull that is cut..Be careful
 
Howdy

One of my high school (early 80's) science teachers who was a limy told me about this. He said this was standard doing for the home guard in England in WW2 that where armed only with shotguns. He was not the kind of man to B.S.

I've done it lots of times, it works. But I cut the hull compleatly.

Sticker
 
Howdy

One of my high school (early 80's) science teachers who was a limy told me about this. He said this was standard doing for the home guard in England in WW2 that where armed only with shotguns. He was not the kind of man to B.S.

I've done it lots of times, it works. But I cut the hull compleatly.

Sticker

I suppose the idea behind leaving the cut is for if you needed to unload the gun without firing, it would not leave part of the shell in the chamber, you could pull it out as one.
 
Back
Top Bottom