Tok ammo is apparently fine for pigs

Teapot

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
EE Expired
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
This is what a fellow on another forum wrote regarding the effectiveness of 7.62x25mm on pigs.

Never thought I'd hear a question like this! Indeed I have used my TT33 to shoot hogs. Maybe a dozen? back in the late 70s.... my girlfriends dad sold pigs, but did not like to shoot them- an emotional attachment. No problem- I feel a bit of emotion after I shoot the lord of the forest- a bull elk. Anyway, the first time the bullet, old Soviet FMJ, went through the entire head and zinged off the barn's cement floor. Her dad said [in an old MT farmer's accent] "by god let's do the next one outside." The rest went into the earth of the corral. We butchered three at a time. All I can say about killing is the swine's light went out immediatelly. Not even a sound.

When I was working cement all the boys said "bring your pistols, lets see which one is baddest." We shot into stacks of plywood forms. Any of the HP 45, 357 went in... 5 or 6 inches. 44 mga about 8. Mr Tokarev went in 18. This made me a bit more confident up in Grizzly country, although when a griz tried to come in our tent [cooking in a downpour] [about as stupid as you can get] I threw gravel in its face and it ran off. The next day we saw the same bear flipping over rocks the size of a car hood and licking the ants off. Yipes!

Its a hot round the 7.62x25.... steel smg ammo for the bear shot only, which has never happened
 
Back door bear defence

...This made me a bit more confident up in Grizzly country, although when a griz tried to come in our tent [cooking in a downpour] [about as stupid as you can get] I threw gravel in its face and it ran off. The next day we saw the same bear flipping over rocks the size of a car hood and licking the ants off. Yipes!

Its a hot round the 7.62x25.... steel smg ammo for the bear shot only, which has never happened[/I][/B]

I have no doubt that a PPSH with a 50 rd drum of 7.62x25 would be an effective Grizzly defense tool.

Oh I see. We start the thread off as something harmless and informative and POW! bear defence gets in from the rear.:D
 
On the farm we used to slaughter pigs regularly and used a .22 rimfire at very close range, between the eyes, on a few occasions we had to kill and old horse or cow, same thing, a well placed shot at close range with a .22. Does that make the .22 rimfire a big game cartridge?
 
It doesn't take much to kill a pig, or just about any other animal, if you shoot it in the head at close range.

Out of a PPSH-41, 7.62x25 is maybe 2/3 of a .32-20; not exactly my idea of a suitable choice for bear defence. 7.62x25 Ball ammunition will make a wound channel similar to .32 ACP, only with greater penetration.

If I'm going to carry a sidearm for protection against bears, it had better be something that starts with a "4".
 
My grandfather used a Deutch Werke .22 to kill thousands of cattle in the slaughter house.... I use a 357 Rossi myself on big farm animals as the JHP's to the head kill instantly. No way in hell I'd trust a Tok with FMJ.... Especially on Grizzly's...
 
I've shot through a piece of dried poplar from the fork of of a tree. It was maybe 6-8" thick but hard...you know how a fork is way tougher than the rest? The chainsaw just kinda quits cutting when it hits it?
At about 15 paces those 7.62 rounds just zipped right through. My 38-55 with factory WW rounds ( which admittedly suck ) didn't make it through the same piece of lumber.
It hurts the size queens to admit that little round rocks hard.
In my opinion the 9mm oughta look at it's feet and wish hard that it was somewhere else when the 7.62 X 25 is present.
As far as other handgun calibers I can't testify to as for how they compare to it.
But the last time I had it at the range a fella with a Glock (9mm)came wandering over and asked "Is that a .45?". I let him try it out and he was really impressed.
 
It doesn't take much to kill a pig, or just about any other animal, if you shoot it in the head at close range.

Out of a PPSH-41, 7.62x25 is maybe 2/3 of a .32-20; not exactly my idea of a suitable choice for bear defence. 7.62x25 Ball ammunition will make a wound channel similar to .32 ACP, only with greater penetration.

If I'm going to carry a sidearm for protection against bears, it had better be something that starts with a "4".

yes but when you can buzz 50 of them into the same wound channel, the equation changes.
 
Back
Top Bottom