RCMP letter

well i dont have a PAL and i get letters all the time.
i have a POL # tho.
I dont think they can process you a letter in this system without a PAL or POL #

they didn't ask me for my PAL # for the first ones I requested

theses are firearms Licences i guess that if you want a letter from the rcmp they want to see if you have a licence of some kind before they give out the letters even tho you dont need a licence to own one.
i dont know anyone without some form of fireams licence tho im sure theres lots out there.

there are thousands of gun owners with NO paperwork at all!For themselves or their firearms

The way its set up is suspicious i admit that, but im in it to deep to worry myself as ive goten lotsa letters for guns i dont even have,, favors for people or guns ive sold ect.
i can see why some guys prefer to not have the letters tho.
haveing a copy of the regs and some proof your gun is a perscribed antique should sufice.

i just find most guys buying a antique for the frist time want a rcmp letter so they know its been oked by the rcmp as a perscribed antique at least.

how do they know it was issued by the RCMP unless they apply for it themselves?

then they know they dont have to worry about atts and permits and transfers ect ect.

The last point in bold is important here folks!
How do you KNOW that the precious RCMP letter you get with your newly acquired hi dollar antique shootin iron is even real?
You don't!
Anyone with a basic Microsoft OS gets a free copy of "Paint"
And that is another reason I scoff at those stupid letters.
Unless you apply for and get it yourself it means SFA.

Anyone else hear the sound of tiny bubbles bursting?
:stirthepot2:

just to add to this-
In my opinion,you are far better off doing the due diligence yourself on any antique firearm you plan to purchase rather than relying on some letter you have no way of knowing is authentic.
If you want an RCMP letter then by all means,apply for one FOR YOURSELF!
Even I admit there is merit to having them in certain circumstances.
 
Well every letter has a Fin # on it a simple call to the RCmp would confrim the letter as fake or not eh. like id give people fake letters LOL

I do agree everyone who buys a Antique fiream should make "sure" its a perscribed Antique themselves.
I seen a few go thru the EE with no way of telling if they were pre or post 1898.

This thread was Started by a fellow asking about getting a letter.
If he feels better haveing one i say he should get one if he wants one.

some of my guns dont have the normal rcmp letter just a copy of the frt listing that model as antique.
 
I politely disagree with Dingus.

Even if you don't have the antique or address anymore, in a police state (fictional of course), they WILL raid your house.
 
I wasn't suggesting that it was being done,I was just pointing out yet another shortcoming in the grand scheme,and why the precious letters aren't all they are cracked up to be imo.

If you call to verify Fin# do you have to give a PAL/POL?
Likely easy enough to change that # too I expect.
And if it does get called in and ends up bogus,who is responsible?
Everyone before can say they got it from the guy before... :stirthepot2:

To be clear here,I keep :stirthepot2: just for the sake of discussion.

As I said before
Even I admit there is merit to having them in certain circumstances.
I'm just happy those circumstances aren't mine.
 
I wasn't suggesting that it was being done,I was just pointing out yet another shortcoming in the grand scheme,and why the precious letters aren't all they are cracked up to be imo.

If you call to verify Fin# do you have to give a PAL/POL?
Likely easy enough to change that # too I expect.
And if it does get called in and ends up bogus,who is responsible?
Everyone before can say they got it from the guy before... :stirthepot2:

To be clear here,I keep :stirthepot2: just for the sake of discussion.

As I said before
I'm just happy those circumstances aren't mine.


Smart .....
 
Well Fair enough but if you think they didnt keep copys of the old style RCMP letters where you didnt give them your pol/ pal FAC # your wrong because i called when i lost one letter years ago and they were able to find the orignal and resend me a copy of it, so they keep copys of everything.

I just cant live in a state of constant worry of being raided by the rcmp because they gave me a letters saying a few hunderd revolvers were antique.
A laywer would have a feild day with them over this anyway as long as the guns in my collection are in fact antique.
as to the future who knows what will come but raid away dont meen people arnt all stupid enough to keep all there guns in one place.
you cant disarm the gen public anyway they can try but it wont work.
in another Nazi type future state guns can be made easy in work shops they make weapons outa railroad track iron or axles and a file and hands drill in the kyber pass eh. ;) now think what a small shop lathe and milling machine can do theres thousands of them from china all over North America millions id guess.

To the fellows with no licences of any kind well i can see why you wouldnt want a letter.
Myself i have one (a Licence) so most of the time as i live in the world that says i can have the letter and not register the gun i do get the letter.

Like a point mabe in another post theres lotsa Deregistered modern guns out there to antique handguns and them guns have letters showing there deregistered and now antique.
My guess is in the real world out there theres more unregistered modern handguns than there are antique ones with antique status letters in Canada.

Again i say to the OP get a letter if you want one dont be frightened by what others may say here.
What Happened to that guy in Red deer at noFAC.com that had 200 Antique handguns seized that had RCMP letters anyway ?
i heard the guns were all found to be antiques and that part of the case was droped.
Im not sure about that but i did read that on CGN somewhere.
i would like to know as and example what happened there.
For the sake of discussion!
 
Well Fair enough but if you think they didnt keep copys of the old style RCMP letters where you didnt give them your pol/ pal FAC # your wrong because i called when i lost one letter years ago and they were able to find the orignal and resend me a copy of it, so they keep copys of everything.

that's the thing...I'm pretty sure they did!
And THAT is exactly my point!

I'm just playing devil's advocate here...remember that ;)

I not giving anyone any advice other than to THINK!
Just because someone in authority says it's so...doesn't always make it so.

Imagine the feeling...you get stopped by the law with your antique pea shooter and whip out your letter with the RCMP stamp on the top.LEO dials it in for confirmation because he isn't sure and is a skeptic at heart...or his wife pissed him off that morning,or he's a a**hole deep down...who knows...roll the dice right?
The letter you got with your firearm from Joe Blow is a fake! :eek:
But because you can't prove that you didn't make it up yourself,not only are you on the hook for the 1901 manufactured firearm but yer gettin bent over for forging an RCMP document... :owned:
OK admitted,that's a worst case scenario,and I got a bit carried away...but it's possible...

I'm not much for conspiracy theories,but I'm also not much for folks stickin their nose into things that aren't their business.My SnapOn tools all have serial numbers but I haven't been told to register them yet...or face the consequences...

If it makes folks happy and they feel secure with a piece of paper saying they're legal then by all means get one...Shoot get a bunch!
I'm sure all the folks that lost their iron over that old reclassification felt all warm and cozy right up til they lost their AR's and short barrels too.


By the people for the people my arse :D
 
For me, the only problem with the letters is that the firearm is linked to your name in a de-facto sense. Just like in the United States, it could potentially be traced back to your name if you sell it and it is misused at some point. That's why lots of guys in the states want an FFL transfer even with a local transaction (so the gun will be in the other guy's name "on the books")
 
This is a scan of mine for a layout idea. All info is from the CFC/RCMP website and David Tomlinson's antique info on the NFA site.

wloi6v.jpg

If a person is worried like some here on CGN about getting rcmp letters this is a good idea ^

But make 100% sure the gun you have is a perscribed antique.

I know anything can happen but in 5 years i aint seen anyone have any problems because they got a rcmp letter.

To get the older style antique letters they needed your mailing address and name which used to be on the letters so really they know who had the antique guns the old way to.
So decideing not to get letters now because of the PAL you think there not going to be able to check you out ?
 
LOL, if things go to the extremes that you all are talking here, just the record of you being a member of this web sight is gonna get you a visit by the man! LOL
 
What Happened to that guy in Red deer at noFAC.com that had 200 Antique handguns seized that had RCMP letters anyway ?
i heard the guns were all found to be antiques and that part of the case was droped.
Im not sure about that but i did read that on CGN somewhere.
i would like to know as and example what happened there.
For the sake of discussion!

Ah yes, whatever did happen here?
 
conspiracy theories aside,it's nice to see that some folks get it...

Canadian Gun Laws do nothing to curtail gun crime.
They are in place to track, control and eventually disarm the law abiding populace.
Laws only affect the law abiding!

The point I was trying to make,for the OP's information,is that the RCMP antique letter is not necessary.
Yes in certain circumstances it would be nice to have one,but it is not required.
Unless you apply for and receive it yourself you have no way of knowing if it's legit or a fake unless you verify the FIN# with the RCMP.
It is a trade off...much like registering a long gun or hoping to get by with the amnesty.
 
Until Angels Fall was asking how to get an antique letter. He asked for help not for opinions. There are RCMP members on this site (retired, active, on & off duty) lawyers (smart ones & expensive ones) Canadian Forces members (better people than most of us, except for the one in jail). If you ever watch the news on TV or read a news paper you may come accross stories about illegal #### busts. The law enforcment officers will make sweeping arrests all over the globe (Saskatchewan counts too). Do you think that the #### nutz all gave out their home address on their #### site? Maybe. But I think that your computer I.P. address is better than any GPS, hotmail, gmail, yahoomail, asking for a letter, or whatever. The man knows all about this site and your computer address. That's why I always use a friends computer. Now, all of you pull up your panties, grab a pillow and swwwwing. Oh crap, someones knocking at the door... hold on I be right back.
 
Well i agree with alot said here anything is posible but people want the letters. im useing FRT printouts now more than ever on guns that fall into the all being antique by age and caliber.

I think myself the RCMP Could make blanket letters that cover guns like saying that all COLT DA 1892s ser # lower than 91000 are perscribed antiques if in the correct calibers.
Or all S&W DA Frist models lower than 52600 are antiques if in the correct calibers.
I mentioned this to the Tecs but they wont do it even tho its easyer and then you dont need a letter for each gun.

The best thing for guns that are All antique by model and caliber is a FRT printout.
The FRT print out on webley MKIs and MKIIs lists them all as antique and thats what i have been useing lately to buy them and to give to buyers.
They are not attached to the guns by Ser # or in anyway traceable.
 
The only reason I wish to have letters is that my smith wont work on them without one and he does good work and is willing to tackle a variety or different old irons.
 
guvment is not going to make determining antique status easier by doing some of the sencible things that have been suggested here.
They rely on confusion (smoke and mirrors) so that the sheeple need the burocracy to look after them. Thereby expanding the swivel service and their circle of influence/power.
No need to look further than the endless threads started, on this site, on "how do I..." or "what are the rules for..." All from folks who supposedly passed their PAL/RPAL exams and should therefore know the answers already. Clouding issues keeps the masters master. IMHO
 
Back
Top Bottom