Flintlock Rio Grande Gobblers

The Baron

CGN frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
540   0   0
Location
Kingston, ON
Figured I'd post this here, where folks will appreciate the weaponry employed.;)

It seems a buddy and I are on an "every other year" migration to Oklahoma, in search of Rio Grande gobblers and this year the birds did not dissapoint! I brought the flintlock on our last trip and I just couldn't pull it together... not so this year. Our first morning saw lots of birds, but after flydown the birds bypassed us and strolled off over the hill and gone. By 11am it topped 90 degree so we headed for some lunch and a nap. We hadn't been sitting for an hour on our first afternoon when three toms took interest our Dave Smith jake and came in. I bagged my first flintlock at 13 steps with my Caywood Type "C" .62 smoothie. The load was 80gr. 3F, 4 overshot cards and then 1 1/8oz. #6's. (I don't like using plastic wads and have found the thin o/s cards don't blow the patterns open like the heavy cardboard wads do). The tom was a typical 2 year old, just over 20# with 3/4" spurs.

First flintlock Rio! :D
2011-04-0701.jpg


The next morning we waited where we knew the birds would be headed (a cattle feeding area) and about 2 hours after flydown they showed up. Some hens and jakes led the way, but eventually another gang of toms strolled in. We had a lot of eyes on us, but we made like statues for probably 1/2 hour and I finally got to drop the hammer on my second flintlock Rio. Another nice 2 year old, and I was thrilled.

Flintlock Rio #2!
2011-04-0801.jpg


The conditions in SW Oklahoma are amazingly dry - they've had only 1" of rain since last October. If they don't get their spring rains, there could be real problems in that region. I will be watching the weather there and praying for rain to help our southern friends.

2011 has been a winner already, with two more toms falling to the flintlock and that makes 10 toms for ol' Sparky. If anyone else out there has a flintlock smoothbore, I would really encourage you to use it for turkeys. They are an effective weapon and a very satisfying way of taking home your tom.

T minus 9 sleeps... bring on the Easterns. :)
 
Fantastic to be able to successfully use our old-style guns for what they were originally intended - CONGRATULATIONS!! Now I am envious as hell...
 
Last edited:
Oh wait, you were is SW Oklahoma.

Dry is fairly normal, but not as dry as that.

Well, I don't know Sw very well. I do know the SE and northern and eastern parts of the state pretty well.
 
Back
Top Bottom