stickhunter
CGN frequent flyer
- Location
- Victoria, B.C.
Hi everyone,
I purchased a Marlin 1889 from an individual on another site. The rifle was described as being in "fair" condition and prior to purchase, I specifically asked the seller about the bore condition and the firing pin (1889's often have broken pins). The seller stated that the bore was in "good" condition and that the firing pin was fine.
I received the rifle yesterday, and upon my first inspection of the bore, I noticed a ring/bulge 6" from the muzzle. I then noticed a gouge in the chamber, probably the result of someone trying to pry out a broken case. Lastly, the firing pin was in fact broken into two pieces.
I can accept that the seller might have missed the broken firing pin and perhaps the gouged chamber, but the bulge/ring was obvious the first time I shone a light in the barrel.
While the seller is willing to refund the purchase cost, and I have offered to pay return shipping, the seller will not refund the original shipping cost. In his mind, because the problems were an honest oversight, he should not be penalized for them. On the other hand, my position is that he was responsible for the mistake, intentional or not, and that I should not be left as the sole payer for that mistake (i.e., be out the cost of shipping both ways).
The final straw for me was that he would only refund my money upon return of the rifle. I was starting to get a bad feeling about him, so I was not comfortable doing this, and since I paid for the rifle prior to the initial shipping, I felt that he should extend me the same courtesy and at least partially refund, if not fully, prior to the return shipping.
The seller will not budge, so I have accepted the advice of caveat emptor, and will deal with him no longer. However, I was so surprised by his attitude that I wanted to seek some advice about what you would expect to be done to resolve such a situation.
As a seller, I would accept my mistake and offer to fully refund shipping both ways --- that's the cost of business and my ignorance. Because of this belief, I'm extremely careful about examining and describing the rifles that I sell. Apparently others don't see it that way, so what's your opinion?
As an aside, the seller is not on this site, so I can't provide negative feedback; however, I am happy to provide his name/business (he's a gun trader in Ontario) to those who PM me.
I purchased a Marlin 1889 from an individual on another site. The rifle was described as being in "fair" condition and prior to purchase, I specifically asked the seller about the bore condition and the firing pin (1889's often have broken pins). The seller stated that the bore was in "good" condition and that the firing pin was fine.
I received the rifle yesterday, and upon my first inspection of the bore, I noticed a ring/bulge 6" from the muzzle. I then noticed a gouge in the chamber, probably the result of someone trying to pry out a broken case. Lastly, the firing pin was in fact broken into two pieces.
I can accept that the seller might have missed the broken firing pin and perhaps the gouged chamber, but the bulge/ring was obvious the first time I shone a light in the barrel.
While the seller is willing to refund the purchase cost, and I have offered to pay return shipping, the seller will not refund the original shipping cost. In his mind, because the problems were an honest oversight, he should not be penalized for them. On the other hand, my position is that he was responsible for the mistake, intentional or not, and that I should not be left as the sole payer for that mistake (i.e., be out the cost of shipping both ways).
The final straw for me was that he would only refund my money upon return of the rifle. I was starting to get a bad feeling about him, so I was not comfortable doing this, and since I paid for the rifle prior to the initial shipping, I felt that he should extend me the same courtesy and at least partially refund, if not fully, prior to the return shipping.
The seller will not budge, so I have accepted the advice of caveat emptor, and will deal with him no longer. However, I was so surprised by his attitude that I wanted to seek some advice about what you would expect to be done to resolve such a situation.
As a seller, I would accept my mistake and offer to fully refund shipping both ways --- that's the cost of business and my ignorance. Because of this belief, I'm extremely careful about examining and describing the rifles that I sell. Apparently others don't see it that way, so what's your opinion?
As an aside, the seller is not on this site, so I can't provide negative feedback; however, I am happy to provide his name/business (he's a gun trader in Ontario) to those who PM me.



















































