Triple seven in the .45 rifle.

Skinny 1950

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
EE Expired
Rating - 100%
42   0   0
Location
Vancouver
Took my CVA Kentucky rifle to the range yesterday,I used up the last of my Goex BP and had to switch to Triple Seven FFFG. A guy set up a chronograph next to me and he let me clock the smoke-pole using 45 grains of 777 behind a .010 patch and a .440 ball.
I was a little concerned about the patch hitting the chrono so I aimed way high,it clocked in at 1875 FPS.
I imagine in the old days before instruments they would have to judge their loads by how much recoil they felt.
Now to find some more black powder...they are thinking of setting up a "magazine" at PCDHFC which would make getting BP a lot easier than it is now.
 
Took my CVA Kentucky rifle to the range yesterday,I used up the last of my Goex BP and had to switch to Triple Seven FFFG. A guy set up a chronograph next to me and he let me clock the smoke-pole using 45 grains of 777 behind a .010 patch and a .440 ball.
I was a little concerned about the patch hitting the chrono so I aimed way high,it clocked in at 1875 FPS.
I imagine in the old days before instruments they would have to judge their loads by how much recoil they felt.
Now to find some more black powder...they are thinking of setting up a "magazine" at PCDHFC which would make getting BP a lot easier than it is now.

just order it in the 15lb lots that we can have thats a heck of alot of shots in your muzzleloader

clean that gun good after the 777 that stuff is supercorrosive in fact i clean up after sub's the same way i clean corrosive ammo

real black powder i clean up with hot water and a swab then oil it with rem oil
 
"clean that gun good after the 777 that stuff is supercorrosive in fact i clean up after sub's the same way i clean corrosive ammo"


I've not used substitutes before, and I'm just now getting back into BP after a number of years away from it, but I thought the adspeak on the subs has it that one of it's attributes is that it is LESS corrosive.

Can you point me to any documentation comparing the two?

Thanks
 
"clean that gun good after the 777 that stuff is supercorrosive in fact i clean up after sub's the same way i clean corrosive ammo"


I've not used substitutes before, and I'm just now getting back into BP after a number of years away from it, but I thought the adspeak on the subs has it that one of it's attributes is that it is LESS corrosive.

Can you point me to any documentation comparing the two?

Thanks

nope it says that on the can but its alot worse then real blackpowder trust me on that its not just me alot of people say the same infact 777 is at the top of that 777 is the worst for rust

i dont use them at all becuse most of my bp shooting is done with flintlocks
 
1875 fps seems like an awfully high velocity for 45 grains assuming that triple 7 gives similar velocities to black powder by volume. I would have expected somewhere down around 1400 - 1500 fps

cheers mooncoon
 
A while back I tested the same volume of 777 and Goex in my 1851 .36 revolver and the 777 clocked in at 915 FPS and the Goex @ 751 FPS using a round ball. The substitute is more powerful for a given volume but the soot is more than I can deal with for the revolvers.
Next time I get a chance I will do a more extensive test with the revolver and average out 24 rounds.
 
Well hell, I just bought a pound of the stuff down at Wholesale in Kamloops because they acted like I was from Mars for asking for black powder. As I'm loading for a couple of real old timers, think I'll just leave it in the can. If the velocity is that much higher, no doubt the pressure is too, and who needs MORE corrosivity. How in hell did this stuff get on the market and why does anybody use it? Seriously, I'd like to know.
 
I don't know that 777 is any more corrosive but I don't leave my guns uncleaned for very long after shooting so I haven't noticed any corrosion.
My position is that it is better than nothing, I already have some and I will use it until I get some more Goex.

Here is a link that shows the relative power of 777:

http://www.hodgdon.com/tripleseven.html
 
Hey vega 777 isn't all bad. Not sure how corrosive it is but I personally don't care as the smokepoles get cleaned everytime there out. Pressure is defiantly higher but so is velocity so load her back a ways. As for soot I found it cleaner in my .32 percussion in fact I won't use black in it as I have to swab the barrel every shot to keep from breaking ramrod. With the 777 it reloads no problem for multiple shots between swabing. Stopped in at wss kamloops and they looked at me like I was retarded for asking for 777 he then replied "nope don't sell blackpowder". It sucks dealing with the ill informed.
 
777 is hard on brass too and that was enough for me to switch to the real stuff at $5 a piece for .577-450 martini henry brass no way im going to use subs in it

now that said only real blackpowder we can get is goex and with only 2 importers/sellers
one here in ontario and one in BC its a little hard to get so when i buy it i buy every bit i can get 15lb witch i now have on order is (im out too) 7lb of 2f 7lb of 1f and 1lb of 4f thats enough to keep my martini henry and flinters going for alot

the only sub i ever used is pyrodex RS and that is best used in firecrackers lol
 
Smoke, that is very weird as I bought a can there a couple of weeks ago. I don't think the folks behind the gun counter there know much about the whole gun game, and I also find their service greatly lacking. It's definitely not like the gunshops of old, and the prices are sky high.
 
Back
Top Bottom