Resolved: Webley MK III's barrel catch spring fell off.

Milsparro

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Ok, so the barrel catch spring on my Webley MK III fell off, in long grass no less, and is completely gone.

I have found two sites, non-sponsor so not hotlinked, that sell the part for the MK IV. Looking at pictures it looks like this is the same as the MK III, but since I can't order till tomorrow anyway... might as well ask on here.

http://www.gunsprings.com/index.cfm?page=items&cID=3&mID=75
http://www.gunpartscorp.com/catalog/Detail.aspx?pid=204100&filter=204100

1.) Can anyone confirm that the MK III and MK IV have the same barrel catch spring?

2.) How is the spring normally held on? Pressure only? There seems to be residue of ancient glue on mine.

3.) Which leads me to why it fell off... if it is just glue letting go that makes sense. Or, did I put too hot of a load through it or something... 5.4 gr Unique, 200gr .452 RNFP cactus plains bullet... that was the load that it was missing after...

4.) Any Canadian//sponsor dealer alternatives? Anyone dealt with those places I linked before?

Thanks, Milsparro.
 
Last edited:
I bought one from Numrich by a few other parts while you're there they will nail you 30.00 bucks to ship and yes the spring should work fine so will one of a MK VI
 
In awesome news, after fruitlessly crawling around the back 40 on hands and knees with a flashlight, turns out it fell off into the holster and was stuck in the bottom! I can see why it fell out, too, now; the spring appears to have lost the bump that fits into the hole on the frame, and been glued in place over 30 years ago, by the look of the glue.
 
According to Ian Skennerton's S.A.I.S.#9 ... (.455 pistol, revolver no.1 MKV1), ... the "spring, catch, barrel", is one and the same interchangable from MK1 to MKVI.

Have seen some available on Gunbroker.


Edit: Bet'cha were some tickled to find it, eh?.
 
Last edited:
Yup. Bit of superglue (.45ACP non-matching numbers shooter, for those concerned about collectability) and I'm back in business!

I would probably try a two part epoxy instead, I don't find superglue as a particularly wonderful adhesive when it comes to firearms.
 
I would probably try a two part epoxy instead, I don't find superglue as a particularly wonderful adhesive when it comes to firearms.

Noted. The spring almost stays in with pressure alone, so I'm not particularly worried at the moment. Looks like it lasted several decades using wood glue, quite honestly.
 
Last edited:
Update on this, it fell out about a month ago and got lost permanently.

Ordered two Wolff catch springs (SKU:15040 http://www.gunsprings.com/index.cfm?page=items&cID=3&mID=75 ), works great, and locks the frame up much sturdier than the original. It has the raised bit that was missing on the old one so it won't fall out again. Arrived October 11, ordered September 19th, excellent comms, Obama and Osama are why it took so long. Ordered an M14 spring kit to get it up over the minimum $25 Wolff requires for international order, so kind of excited about that too.
 
I would probably try a two part epoxy instead, I don't find superglue as a particularly wonderful adhesive when it comes to firearms.

Agreed. I've found that all consistencies and brands of CA (super) glue are useless. I've tried and have always been disappointed; it seems to always cure poorly and let go at any hint of moisture. Epoxies are definitely the way to go: waterproof, stronger bond, and can fill gaps and be sanded/polished.
 
Agreed. I've found that all consistencies and brands of CA (super) glue are useless. I've tried and have always been disappointed; it seems to always cure poorly and let go at any hint of moisture. Epoxies are definitely the way to go: waterproof, stronger bond, and can fill gaps and be sanded/polished.

It has the raised bit that was missing on the old one so it won't fall out again.

Shouldn't have been using glue anyway, the new spring solves that issue by not having the locking tab broken.
 
I know I sold you that gun and I feel a bit guilty about the issue. I lost money on that gun, so I don't really know what to say. I bought it from another user here, Dingus, in that condition just a few months before I sold it to you. I always thought (as many on here) that he checks all the guns he is selling since they are somewhat high priced. Now looking back, I actually think that the spring was not original to that gun and he may have fixed it as good as he could without ordering expensive parts from the US.

I know that's not an excuse since I am the one who sold you that gun. Let me know what I can do to make it good between us.
 
I find it hard to believe that Dingus would knowingly sell a gun with a faulty part without advising the purchaser of it. He has always been very up front with me on things we have been dickering over. I also had a look at my Webley and the little bump that you refer to is miniscule and you would have to suspect it was missing to even notice there is a bump; took me a couple of looks just to find it and for that matter with the spring in place I can't see the notch it apparently fits into.
I also wonder about the glue description; possibly it was just old dried on oil of Bombay or cosmoline or such like.
Final observation is that Scianna54 apparently had the gun for some time without noticing the problem. It looks to be a problem that could very easily slip past a person and continue to work for quite some time with no one the wiser.

cheers mooncoon
 
I have no ill will towards anyone, and no one in the ownership history should feel bad, I am very pleased with it Scianna54, although now I've got the itch to add a few different models to my collection... it's going on 114 years old, I wish my 20 year old $2000 pickup could be restored to new condition for $20.

Mooncoon the glue was glue, it had that yellowed look to it once it broke, and wasn't present elsewhere on the firearm, in harder to clean places; the gun was clean when it arrived. I'd post pics but I cleaned it off. It took at least 50 rounds to fail, and prior to that looked like it was a very good fix, so I am not surprised our experts didn't catch it!

Just posted this thread because of concerns in the original post, and to add to it a solution that someone else on here might find useful.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom