.17HMR : Soon to be obsolete??

Called my dealer for a friend today... ( ok had to LOL a little ) anyhow, my buddy was looking for a .22mag and the dealer advised not to go down that path but to get a .17hmr.
I have a Savage 93 in .17 I like it so much im looking at a shelling out the cash for a volquartsen semi auto.
 
The .17 HMR continues to prove itself out here on the prairies as an excellent gopher rifle out to 200yds. if the crosswind isn't too bad.
 
This cartridge is a gem. For around 26 cents a shot for a factory round, it shoots with spectacular accuracy at 100 yards. Sure its not dirt cheap like 22LR, but the performance difference between 17hmr and 22LR is stark.
 
the HMR has a HUGE following and many feeders...in fact, if you go to SIR online, they even have a separate section for them.

Store owner is either full of sh!t to an untrustworthy extent, or he's mistaking the HMR for the HM2...which is losing momentum and is gaining a reputation of unreliability...

What are you talking about "gaining a reputation of reliability" ??
Just what brand are you smoking? I need some:adult:
 
What he may be talking about is reliability to take down larger varmints like say a coyote or some such which isn't the calibers forte', longer range and flat shooting are.
 
Personally I can't see it , I call BS .
Since I got my CZ452 American I've gotten rid of all my 22's and have no intention of replacing them . This caliber rocks , it hits hard , flies flat as a pancake , has zip for recoil , etc....
This ones a keeper .

Totally agree. Got the same rifle and gopher days are just much more fun now. My Ruger 10-22 sits idle.:D
 
Totally agree. Got the same rifle and gopher days are just much more fun now. My Ruger 10-22 sits idle.:D

yup. prob would not have bought a .22 had I bought my 17hmr first.
well, maybe just a lot cheaper one.
.17 gets all the love now. wish i could reload it and get some hi-caps for the savage though....
.22 only comes out when I go to the range or take a friend out shooting.
 
yup. prob would not have bought a .22 had I bought my 17hmr first.
well, maybe just a lot cheaper one.
.17 gets all the love now. wish i could reload it and get some hi-caps for the savage though....
.22 only comes out when I go to the range or take a friend out shooting.

you can reload rimfire but it dont always work its called kitchen sink reloading

but it it does make the reloaded ammo corrosive and its not worth it for the price
 
I would love to see more reasonable cost for ammo, but the HMR won't be dying out. $15~ for 50 rounds is a bit much when $30~ can get you a 500-count .22LR brick. Who'd have thought that necking down a .22WMR case jumped the cost ten times over...

I just sold my Stevens 17HMR in favour of a Baikal single-shot in 7.62x39mm for varminting. I'll give thought to picking up a 17HMR again when I can buy a brick for $50-$60.
 
I would love to see more reasonable cost for ammo, but the HMR won't be dying out. $15~ for 50 rounds is a bit much when $30~ can get you a 500-count .22LR brick. Who'd have thought that necking down a .22WMR case jumped the cost ten times over...

I just sold my Stevens 17HMR in favour of a Baikal single-shot in 7.62x39mm for varminting. I'll give thought to picking up a 17HMR again when I can buy a brick for $50-$60.

Its the cost of the projectiles, not the case.
 
Back
Top Bottom