What BP Rifle barrels have a .452 or so bore

dingus

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 98.9%
363   4   0
Location
B.C
Im looking for a few old crappy cheeper rifle barrels for projects and was trying to figger out which old rifle barrels would have a .452 to .455 bore ?
45 70 is like .460 isnt it ?
I need anything .452 to .455 max dia bore and want to know what to look for what calibers.
I know 45 colt but theres not many 45 colt chambered rifles.
Just so i know what to ask for in my EE add as most guys dont know how to measure bores right.

Maby old muzzel loader barrel would be good to eh?
 
45-70 is .457. The old Farmingdale paper patch Scharps 45 cal rifles were 451 or 2 which extremely shallow rifling. I doubt you would find one of those for sale however. The problem you may run into with muzzle loading barrels is depth of rifling as well as slow twist (most modern replicas are 1:48). 45 cal muzzle loaders are bore not groove diameter. Maybe some of the inlines will have a fast twist and correct bore and groove diameter

cheers mooncoon
 
45-70 is .457. The old Farmingdale paper patch Scharps 45 cal rifles were 451 or 2 which extremely shallow rifling. I doubt you would find one of those for sale however. The problem you may run into with muzzle loading barrels is depth of rifling as well as slow twist (most modern replicas are 1:48). 45 cal muzzle loaders are bore not groove diameter. Maybe some of the inlines will have a fast twist and correct bore and groove diameter

cheers mooncoon

Thanks Mooncoon. I never thought about twist and depth of the rifleing.
I will likely just order from TJs as he has liners and 7/8 dia barrel stock with the right twist.
 
Back
Top Bottom