Help me decide on a 1700/1800 repro flinter (or minie rifle)

I notice a succession of smooth bored Flints going through the EE. Not sure why anyone would prefer them over a rifle?

Easier to load easier to clean and as mentioned above versatile.

Wally, unless you are really interested in building one don't bother, you wont save any money and the time you spend on it could be better enjoyed shooting, tuning your lock, hunting, making accessories etc etc etc. Builders offer such quality work at such good prices that it is a shame not to take advantage of the opportunity.

If in the future you decide you absolutely must build one then it would be nice to have a couple years shooting a BP ML so you build exactly what you want.

For practical good value the lymans are hard to beat. 1:48 twist launches balls with laser accuravy while retaining the ability to launch the hammer of god in form of a >400grain conical at velocities beyond what is comfy to shoot. The few lymans I have seen have fit and finish second to none.


As for origninality not many mountain men went afield with carbon in thier iron or got to thier trap line/major european land battle in an internal combustion engine driven carriage so don't get too hung up on it.

Be cautious these ML are alot of fun and certainly at least a little addicitive.

oh yeah start looking now to aqquire Black powder. Build a legal storage box and get as much as you can when ever you can. Also grab 'orange fantabulous' at can tire when it is on sale for 1.49 bottle. Makes cleaning a bit easier.
 
Hey Chasseur any negatives dealing with the rifle shop? How was the importing of the stuff? Any hassles at the border? Lastly do you have to use real black powder in these old repros and do you have to cast your own balls for shooting them? Nice looking rifles in the pictures.
 
Yes as a flinter black powder is a must for reliable ignition,the replica black powders don t do to well in flinters.The Rifle Shoppe is good to deal with if it is in stock otherwise backorders you can wait a very long time.For the BAKER casting your balls is a given as precast 62cal balls are not common.
 
IF its a fully assembled rifle does it just get registered on import? Is the registration different if its a flintlock kit?
 
I don't really care for lymans - I'm looking for something a little more unique and quality. I already have and regularly shoot a browning mountain rifle that is about as nice as I've seen for north american commercially produced muzzle loaders, and have a thompson center cherokee in 45 that's a fun mess around gun, but neither are flintlock, so I'm looking to remedy that. I was looking at kits because I don't really have the $1000+++ that hand built guns command, but for $400-$600 I am happy to put in the work and learn a thing or two in the process. However, if they require specialised tools, I'm kindof up the creek in that regards.

Easier to load easier to clean and as mentioned above versatile.

Wally, unless you are really interested in building one don't bother, you wont save any money and the time you spend on it could be better enjoyed shooting, tuning your lock, hunting, making accessories etc etc etc. Builders offer such quality work at such good prices that it is a shame not to take advantage of the opportunity.

If in the future you decide you absolutely must build one then it would be nice to have a couple years shooting a BP ML so you build exactly what you want.

For practical good value the lymans are hard to beat. 1:48 twist launches balls with laser accuravy while retaining the ability to launch the hammer of god in form of a >400grain conical at velocities beyond what is comfy to shoot. The few lymans I have seen have fit and finish second to none.


As for origninality not many mountain men went afield with carbon in thier iron or got to thier trap line/major european land battle in an internal combustion engine driven carriage so don't get too hung up on it.

Be cautious these ML are alot of fun and certainly at least a little addicitive.

oh yeah start looking now to aqquire Black powder. Build a legal storage box and get as much as you can when ever you can. Also grab 'orange fantabulous' at can tire when it is on sale for 1.49 bottle. Makes cleaning a bit easier.
 
Can anybody recommend a site that has pictures of all the various flintlock type guns? Other than a few like Sea service, B-Bess or Baker Rifle I dont quite know what all the styles look like.

So to clarify any reproduction gun if it uses a flintlock and not percussion cap is not considered a firearm? I thought this only applied to actual flintlock antiques?

I am abit confused about this.

Also is Goex black powder useable in any of the reproduction type guns from say the Rifleshop?
 
Goex or any other real black powder is usable in a flintlock.
Post 1897 matchlock, wheelock and flintlock longarms are deemed antiques.
 
Can anybody recommend a site that has pictures of all the various flintlock type guns? Other than a few like Sea service, B-Bess or Baker Rifle I dont quite know what all the styles look like.

So to clarify any reproduction gun if it uses a flintlock and not percussion cap is not considered a firearm? I thought this only applied to actual flintlock antiques?

I am abit confused about this.

Also is Goex black powder useable in any of the reproduction type guns from say the Rifleshop?

prepare to drool!;)

http://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categories/SubList.aspx?catId=12&AspxAutoDetectCookieSupport=1&as=1

They just come right though the mail, no registration required for any age of flintlock long arms.
New flintlock pistols are still restricted however.

Any black powder will work in em.

Shipping is very expensive, close to $100 for a flintlock. But, our dollar being strong these days does help.
 
So to clarify any reproduction gun if it uses a flintlock and not percussion cap is not considered a firearm?


Any flintlock long gun is considered an antique and not subject to restrictions. This is because the flintlock is seen as a primitive ignition device, like matchlocks and cannons using wicks.
 
Check with the Traditonal Muzzleloading Forum, they have a classified section which often has some nice pieces for sale. You will have to contact the seller to see if they are willing to ship to Canada, but I've never had a problem.
 
Wally, IMHO you wont find more quality in a gun than the lymans offer. fit, finish, function? not sure where you figure they fall short but I'd be interested to know what I Could get that is better?

As for saving a few bucks the US auctions and village gunshops are SWAMPED with 'custom' guns/home built flinters and commerical guns of all grades for less then the cost of a kit. For example a Lymans great plain could be yours in the 300 range.

I understand if you just must build your own. No shame in paying a bit more for the privilage of owning a gun almost as well built as one off the shelf.
 
So typically are there any repros that are to be avoided if you want to shoot them? I dont want a wall hanger.
 
I would avoid cheap flintlock guns. i.e. cheap when new. Nothing more frustrating than a lock that won't spark. A cheap capgun will still fire. I have one of the little Spanish smoothbore cap guns that sold for $29.95 new. I did make a new mainspring for it, so it didn't take two men and a boy to #### it and pull the trigger. Shot a lot of ptarmigans with it.
In this thread I mentionned a Dixie flint lock that just wouldn't spark, so I percussionned the gun. Recently I picked up another one, and it is a good sparker.
I do appreciate guns that are as close to being authentic as possible.
 
prepare to drool!;)

http://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categories/SubList.aspx?catId=12&AspxAutoDetectCookieSupport=1&as=1

They just come right though the mail, no registration required for any age of flintlock long arms.
New flintlock pistols are still restricted however.

Any black powder will work in em.

Shipping is very expensive, close to $100 for a flintlock. But, our dollar being strong these days does help.

Thanks for the link. So these are all made in India? To fire them you have to drill out the vent hole first right?
 
Thanks for the link. So these are all made in India? To fire them you have to drill out the vent hole first right?

No, not at all. You are thinking of Military Heritage here in Canada. That's how they roll, it makes their product much easier to mail to various countries.

Track of the Wolf is totally different. Most of those guns on their site are built by skilled builders in the US. Some of the cheaper ones are Indian repros, but most on there aren't. And I'm pretty sure they are all live.
 
Wally, IMHO you wont find more quality in a gun than the lymans offer. fit, finish, function? not sure where you figure they fall short but I'd be interested to know what I Could get that is better?
Lyman guns are fine for what they are, but they are quite a ways from authentic. For someone who is interested in traditional, authentic pieces, the Lyman offerings are pedestrian at best, offensive at worst. One would need to hold a custom or semi-custom repro to really see the difference, but they would be evident.
 
Back
Top Bottom