Custer

Bowie

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
126   0   0
This weekend (June 25th) marks 135 years since Custer fell at the Little Big Horn. As I understand it, the 7th Cav. were armed with Springfield "Trapdoors", and Colt .45 SAAs. It have heard/read that Custer himself carried a pair of Webley RIC revolvers and a Remington rolling block in .50-70. Anyone have other info? I will be travelling though the area next week and I think I will make the stop. I was there 28 years ago, and am looking forward to seeing it again. Lots of history in that area.
 
I d make a bet that Custer s guns were either tossed away just before the Sioux entered Canada or were hidden in a Cache somewhere for later retrival (as natives did)never to be seen again.
 
I had the pleasure of handling Lt W.W. Cooke's Remington 44 cal cap and ball revolver that the Sioux recovered at the Little Big Horn at Bud Haynes auction in Red Deer, AB. about 12/13 years ago. There was the revolver, holster and farriers knife (name was on the holster). Thery were retrieved by the NWMP when the Sioux came to Canada. The NWMP returned the gun, holster & farriers knife to the US authorities, who in turn returned them to the Cooke family. Blake Cooke of Watrous, SK was the grand nephew of W.W. Cooke, he was the last family member to own these items. They went for $60,000 CDN or at that time $40,000 US. to a buyer in New York State. Lt. Cooke was Custer's Adjutant and was a Canadian from Hamilton,ON.
 
You missed Little Big Horn Days in Hardin Montana this weekend. The locals sponsor a Re-enactment and the Custer Battlefield historical Association holds a symposium for the presentation of research papers on the battle.
In 1992 I presented a paper entitled "The Guns of '76". A detailed examination alive fire testing of the firearms known to have used at the battle at distances encountered at eh battle. My work has been cited in another book on the battle.
It is an interesting period in history that few Canadians have clue about.
Enjoy the trip to Hardin!!!
 
Custer's guidon silk stars n stripes flag went for $2 million last December at auction.
Big money from the famous 7th. Flag was retrieved from a dead body on the battlefield.
I have been to Little Big Horn. Vast rolling hills. Some items are still being unearthed even now.
 
Last edited:
yes he used a rolling block his had a octagon barrel

there's to battle's i love in history

Little Big Horn and rorke's drift

the .45-70 in one and the .577-450 in the other

id love to see a head to head battle of these to on deadliest warrior

custer held off 900-1800 natives with 647 men

and the brits at rorke's drift held off 4000 zulus with only 152 men 11 of witch where African and colonial troops

weapons are about the same the trapdoor may be a bit slower then the martini henry
 
The Custer Battle

Mike Venturino (aka MLV), author and well lnown BPCR competitor used to be a ranger at the Little Big Horn national park site. While there he wrote a hand out treatise on the battle that is still being used today.
Every once in a while, the topic comes up on the Shiloh site and Mike always has the last word.
A work mate showed me a '73 Trapdoor carbine he inherited. It had been traded from a native guide by relatives and showed it's Indian history in that the barrel band had been replaced by one made of native copper.
I gave him a list of the known Custer carbine serial numbers. Two years later, he still hadn't bothered to check to see if his gun was listed! I offered to buy the gun from him, but he refused. Go figure .....
 
This weekend (June 25th) marks 135 years since Custer fell at the Little Big Horn. As I understand it, the 7th Cav. were armed with Springfield "Trapdoors", and Colt .45 SAAs. It have heard/read that Custer himself carried a pair of Webley RIC revolvers and a Remington rolling block in .50-70. Anyone have other info? I will be travelling though the area next week and I think I will make the stop. I was there 28 years ago, and am looking forward to seeing it again. Lots of history in that area.

Hi !

I have read somewhere that the General Custer carried a pair of S&W No 2 Old Ary in .32 RF.

Ex
 
My maternal grandfather was an American railroad engineer. He told me that his father drove mule trains for the Army and was taking a load to Custer when he got word that Custer had fallen.

There a re a number of battlefields that only make sense when you can walk them and see the sightlines of the combatants. Understanding their arms is important, too.
 
Custer was arrogant and didnt take his enemy seriously. That and the final terrain they had the battle on and things didnt work out to well for him.
 
Got a chance to view the battlefield form the Crowsnest, basically the exact spot where Custer looked at the Indian encampment a decided to attack. They were discovered and apparently he divided his force to encircle the camp and possibly garner more fame for himself rather then share with Reno and Benteen. It has been a long time since I studied the battle and archeology of the remains...had long discussion with Robert Fox on the battle, as well as Ron Nicholls. It was a discussion I had with Ron about the firearms at the battle that prompted me to do the shooting test in 1991/92. The results shook up a lot of people.
 
Custer didn't "hold off" anybody. He ran like a rabbit and died in about 15 minutes according to the latest archeology efforts. Rorke's drift on the other hand, was an impressive battle. I've visited both sites, and been impressed by both for different reasons. - dan

I've not visited Rorke's drift but have spent time at the Custer site and must agree with you. The movie "Little Big Man" with the great old B.C. actor, Chief Dan George and Dustin Hoffman puts it in perspective as I cheered for the Indians :eek: in that great movie.
 
Custer was arrogant and didnt take his enemy seriously. That and the final terrain they had the battle on and things didnt work out to well for him.

Amen to that! And he attacked one day earlier than his superior officer had planned, trying to gain a nomination as a presidential candidate in the upcoming election. Darwin wins another one but I was saddened by the loss of good brave men due to Custer's arrogance.
 
Back
Top Bottom