Spit patch in modern muzzleloaders ?

AKD

CGN frequent flyer
EE Expired
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
I'm brand new to the muzzleloader world. Very new.

I have yet to fire my rifle.
I read an article about licking a patch and run that threw the barrel both sides between shots for accuracy.

I have a Thompson Impact .50 cal and think I will go with the hornady FPB bullets.

Is a jag that spins with the rifling to load the bullet down really make a difference?

Thx for the help. Any tips are welcome. Just assume I know nothing about muzzleloading :p
 
Yes, spit patch between shots. BUT, do it in incremental strokes.

DO NOT push the spit patch all the way to the bottom of the barrel in one go...you might not be able to pull it out. Trust me, I know. :redface:

The newer spinning jags are nice...but not critical.
 
the impact is an inline intended for saboted slugs. Spit patching is intended for round ball guns and I doubt it would be suitable for your gun. The incremental loading is primarily so you don't break the ram rod and drive it through your hands. I normally drive the ball down in a series to taps or thumps and my hand is never more than 6" above the barrel. If I had my hand say 2' up the rod pushing hard, there is a high risk that a wooden rod would bend and break and my hand would come down hard enough to drive the broken end deeply into my hand

cheers mooncoon
 
Last edited:
A patch wetted with a squirt of isopropyl alcohol(buy it at the local grocery or pharmacy) is a more efficient way to clean the bore between shots. At the range and in the field, where practical. One wet patch, followed by one or two dry patches, and your bore comes out sparkling clean. Best way I know to clean a muzzleloader bore. The hardcore traditionalists on this forum might not agree, but you'll soon find that practical is often best, when it comes to muzzleloading. Plus, you won't run dry of spit. Try it and you will see.
By the way, if you have a source of flannel at home(old shirts, nightgowns, etc.) these make excellent patches. Cheap, too. Cut them about 2" square for your .50 cal.
This size works well...you can fold them to make a tighter fit, or leave them as is.
As for jags that spin....unnecessary, in my opinion. When you push the rod down bore, the friction between a snugly fitting bullet or cleaning patch and bore will impart a natural spin to the ramrod. An ordinary jag, threaded onto the end of the rod, will spin along with it.
It never hurts to experiment with as many different bullets or bullet/sabot combinations as possible. Your rifle will let you know what it likes best. Many of the inlines, for example, with their relatively fast rifling pitch(twist), prefer saboted bullets. Once you know the twist of your rifle's bore, it is often an easy job finding the right combination.
I'm not familiar with your Thompson, but many TC rifles feature a twist of 1:48" If so, this rifling twist often work very well with saboted bullets. Good to know.
A very good learning resource for new blackpowder shooters, is Sam Fadala's Blackpowder Handbook. Lots of good information inside.
Muzzleloading is a lot of fun, once you get a handle on it. Takes a while to pick up on all the little things to know that make it easy....but that's the idea behind this forum. Some very knowledgeable people here, who can help. Don't be afraid to ask.
 
What exactly do you mean by incremental ?

Push the spit patch 1/4 of the way down the barrel, then pull it out...then 1/2 way etc. Then reverse the patch to the dry side, and run that in your barrel.

If you shoot 777, you will soon learn about the "crud-ring". If you push the patch right to the bottom on the 1st go...it is Very difficult to remove.
 
Back
Top Bottom