Old Mauser opinions on value

IAMAWILDPARTY

Regular
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Location
GTA
About a month ago, I was visiting one of my dad's friends and he brought this out to show me, because my dad had told him I had an interest in guns.

262218_120152611409209_100002434115559_166436_6962227_n.jpg

268413_120152374742566_100002434115559_166429_1324498_n.jpg


I was going to ask you fine folks to identify it for me, but I'm fairly confident it's a Model 1871 variant, a Gewehr 71/84 on account of it having the tube magazine. The owner couldn't tell me muct other than it was .43 calibre and probably a mauser. He also had no idea why he ever bought it, back in the 70s or 80s.

It shot a .43 calibre cartridge, 11x60mm mauser, and as I had never before fired a blackpowder rifle, I thought it would rock my shoulder, and I anticipated something a bit more than .30/06 in terms of kick. In fact, I found the recoil tame in comparison to what I had expected.

I think it's something I might like to buy a little down the line, when I can get into reloading. What would a fair price be on one of these things?

Anyway, I thought I'd get your opinions. I, not being terribly good at evaluating such things, found it to be in good condition, the action was smooth and seemed to function flawlessly.
 
Last edited:
An OAL pic is needed. Lots of these gun cut down, altered etc. Sometimes they even have weird alterations to bands, sights, small parts etc.... they seem to attract weird alterations.
 
Also, from what I can see - the bluing is very worn and the firing pin needs to be threaded another few turns into the firing pin nut a few more turns - should be flush or it may over extend past the bolt face and puncture a primer.... though they're so big and rounded I wouldn't be as worried about it as others.

Also - bore condition and matching numbers are important - EVERY part of the 71/84's are numbered. Screws will have the last two digits of the serial on them. Some guns are full length with wood, but have been spliced.
 
A friend just sold one last week which was all matching, 85% bluing left and had not been altered for $700.00. This one looks like it has been altered. If so it may be worth $300.00 to $350.00. If bore is pitted and dark you can revise that estimate down.
 
You STILL haven't shown an overall view of the gun! That's the single most important view and by itself is usually enough. From what I have been able to (literally) piece together from your closeups, it's at best a poor example of an M71/84 in its original configuration. The stock is beat up, someone added an extra homemade barrel band, and metal condition is poor. If it's all there (as it appears), the bore is VG, and the stock repair can be bettered, as a shooter it might fetch $400. One of these in excellent condition can go for $1000+, but the good ones we see from time to time are about $700 guns. Sporters, which are quite common, usually go for about $200.

A fun gun to shoot for sure. Reloading components are available, but the brass is expensive. Cast bullets (it has a 0.446" diameter bore) over Springfield Trapdoor loads (if you use smokless), make for lots of range fun.
 
I think that 45/70 brass can be used? I believe the end result is a shorter case than normal. Any one know about this? .

It can be done but with qualifications. The first is that it is important to anneal the brass before firing because the 45 - 70 base diameter is about .015" smaller than the 11 mm Mauser shell. Also you will have to run the shells through a sizing die because I am pretty sure the neck is smaller. Also it is important to stick with black powder loads because the case will balloon out on the first firing. Finally the 11 mm case had a rebated rim for the ejector pin which projects a short distance from the bolt face. I have no idea why it was designed that way. If you can make a spare ejector pin and make it flush with the bolt face or if you don't mind buggering up an original. the gun will accept non rebated cases. Worth mentioning that the model 71 does not have the ejector, only an extractor so that you don't have to worry about using flat based cases in it.

cheers mooncoon
 
Looks like someone has definitely messed with it... if that is the case, then it likely means that it was repaired.... which means they probably had to get more parts for it... which means it won't be all matching, and like said before, EVERY part is serialed, so value would be for parts only. I'd probably buy it, but only to rebuild a project 71/84 I have.
 
It doesn't look bad, actually fairly good. If the bore and action are decent and everything works it's worth $300-$500 as a shooter. All matching and original will be worth more. Poor mechanical or bore condition will be worth less.
 
It's probably my imagination, but a few comments, though helpful, seemed angry with the condition of the gun :D. Again, I apologize for the bad pictures, this is not my gun, and it's a few hours from where I live.

I do thank you folks for the various appraisals, I'm glad to find that it isn't worth $1000 or near that, as if I do buy it, I'll be buying it as a neat toy to play with.
The next time I do see it, and I'm not sure when that will be(probably not soon), I'll be looking for things like matching numbers, though that isn't super important to me. I might post the remainder of the pictures I have later tonight.
 
The rest of these pictures aren't any better, and I'm just posting them for the folks that like looking.

AFTER:D shooting I looked down the bore, It looked okay to me, but all that means is I didn't see anything anything too scary, I don't have any experience with older guns and don't know when a bore is past safe.
269758_120152428075894_100002434115559_166431_7410568_n.jpg

here can be seen the stock repair \/
270340_120152351409235_100002434115559_166428_4968642_n.jpg


268399_120152771409193_100002434115559_166440_7852934_n.jpg


The action worked flawlessly, and I'm surprised at the age and condition, when considering the poor condition of the majority of the gentleman's firearms.
 
The stacking rod/magazine cap has been cut it seems. The threaded cap under the muzzle that threads onto the end of the magazine tube should have a little rod with a ball on the end. Lots got cut off, bent etc.

http://commissionrifle.multiply.com/photos/album/10/Non_Commission_Weapons#photo=34

As for the being angry, I don't think any of the other replies were angry, more likely just mildly annoyed because clear full length photos are usually lacking in threads like this, and are the single most important factor in appraising the gun... that and bore condition.
 
The stacking rod/magazine cap has been cut it seems. The threaded cap under the muzzle that threads onto the end of the magazine tube should have a little rod with a ball on the end. Lots got cut off, bent etc.

http://commissionrifle.multiply.com/photos/album/10/Non_Commission_Weapons#photo=34

As for the being angry, I don't think any of the other replies were angry, more likely just mildly annoyed because clear full length photos are usually lacking in threads like this, and are the single most important factor in appraising the gun... that and bore condition.

I can understand the frustration. Still, thanks to everyone for the input, I appreciate it and hopefully I can get my hands on the gun eventually and make sure it doesn't come to more harm.
...maybe just a tactical rail, paint it black, attache a bipod...
 
I apologize if I came across as angry or rude - that was not my intention. The Interweb, like e-mail can seem a harsh place - and it sure is here at times. All to say, it's a poor example of a M71/84, but as with any gun can be improved, and if the bore is at least VG, you might have a good shooter there, but it will never be a "Collector" gun. I'd pay no more than $300 based on the pics and description provided, but better to get a typical $500 M71/84 which show up here on CGN from time to time.
 
I bought one recently all matching, hasn't been buggered with for $500 which I thought was pretty good.

I'm waiting on some bullets to go with my brass and I'll do a range report and picture show. In the meantime I want to strip the rifle down and do some general cleaning.
 
Back
Top Bottom