Any interest in this?

gunzik

Regular
Uber Super GunNutz
Rating - 100%
485   0   0
Location
Calgary
So I found a couple of Colt Pocket revolvers built pre-1898, antique in the USA but in .32 Long Colt so not antique (12.6) in Canada.

A few rip-off artists in the USA have offered a few hundred bucks each for my little gems, and I note that they ask three or four times that much if they're selling. I appreciate that these are commercial outfits but really...

Rather than ship them South at a loss, what if I changed the firing pin to rimfire and had the little gems re-classed to antiques? In .32 rimfire, never made by Colt, a little swing-out cylinder pocket revolver would be great fun. Both are mechanically excellent and have good original finish.

ajx8w2.jpg


These would easily handle the load-your-own .27 Hilti cartridge powered .32 short colt rounds, and of course would shoot factory .32 rimfire (I have some) like a champ.

So what's the opinion of the fine Antique forum denizens? What would a made-over Colt in .32 Rimfire Long be worth? Or should I wrap these up and find a nice American to buy them?
 
So I found a couple of Colt Pocket revolvers built pre-1898, antique in the USA but in .32 Long Colt so not antique (12.6) in Canada.

A few rip-off artists in the USA have offered a few hundred bucks each for my little gems, and I note that they ask three or four times that much if they're selling. I appreciate that these are commercial outfits but really...

Rather than ship them South at a loss, what if I changed the firing pin to rimfire and had the little gems re-classed to antiques? In .32 rimfire, never made by Colt, a little swing-out cylinder pocket revolver would be great fun. Both are mechanically excellent and have good original finish.

ajx8w2.jpg


These would easily handle the load-your-own .27 Hilti cartridge powered .32 short colt rounds, and of course would shoot factory .32 rimfire (I have some) like a champ.

So what's the opinion of the fine Antique forum denizens? What would a made-over Colt in .32 Rimfire Long be worth? Or should I wrap these up and find a nice American to buy them?

I think thats a great idea rather than ship them south if you got it done right they might be worth like $900 or more up here as Colt 32 Rf revolvers.
you can use the same 32 cases but use off set 22 blanks that way you get the right sized case and right dia bullets for the bore. the 32 Cf cases altered would fit tight enough they wont turn (once fire formed)
Or a Hilti off set it would have to be a true RF cartrige tho.
All you need to do is alter the fireing pin tip and close up the CF hole in the frame make a RF hole instead. its abit of work but if done right i think they would be nice guns.
Hell id buy one if it was done right!
Would a Factory 32 RF long fit in the gun as the chambers sit or be loose ?
 
Neat! Exactly conflicting advice, and both of you are probably right.

Lucky there are two. I could try both.

Dingus: 32 Long Colt is exactly the same dimension as 32 Rimfire. Factory Rimfire fits, and the Short Colt / .27 Hilti cartridge home made adaptors fit too. Less than 25 cents a shot, an outfit in Ontario is selling the Winchester Short Colt brass for $19 / 100 and has lots.

To plug the CF hole I think some mild steel, fitted. Chamber end of the hole enlarged a bit and then peen it on an anvil and file it flush carefully. No welding or heating that way, very solid. I was thinking a frame-mounted firing pin like the S&W .22 revolvers have. That would allow buying / installing a factory (replaceable) part and just grinding the hammer face smooth.

Either way is sad. Sending these off to the States would make me sad, and changing them forever is just as sad, but I'm leaning toward changing them and keeping one...

I'll post some pictures when they're done!
 
Neat! Exactly conflicting advice, and both of you are probably right.

Lucky there are two. I could try both.

Dingus: 32 Long Colt is exactly the same dimension as 32 Rimfire. Factory Rimfire fits, and the Short Colt / .27 Hilti cartridge home made adaptors fit too. Less than 25 cents a shot, an outfit in Ontario is selling the Winchester Short Colt brass for $19 / 100 and has lots.

To plug the CF hole I think some mild steel, fitted. Chamber end of the hole enlarged a bit and then peen it on an anvil and file it flush carefully. No welding or heating that way, very solid. I was thinking a frame-mounted firing pin like the S&W .22 revolvers have. That would allow buying / installing a factory (replaceable) part and just grinding the hammer face smooth.

Either way is sad. Sending these off to the States would make me sad, and changing them forever is just as sad, but I'm leaning toward changing them and keeping one...

I'll post some pictures when they're done!

If there 12,6 up here id be carefull shipping them to the USA i know there antique down there but im not sure on the legal aspect of shipping 12,6 firearms to the uSA i only ever shiped perscribed antiques.

Your idea sounds good maby silver soder in the soft steel plug so it can be removed easyer.
Just makeing a slot strait up might work to eh... its not a big distance from 32 CF to 32 Rf Eh ;)
As long as it no longer will fire off the CF stuff you should be good might not have to even fill the CF hole just make the slot up and alter fireing pin to hit higher.
Not saying that will work as i never had that model colt before.
If they have a CF bushing like a SAA colt just remove it and make another one with a slot up ^
Im serious to if you get one deregisterd id be intested in buying a nice Fast reloadable 32 RF colt that can shoot 32 rf long factory ammo :cool:
 
Back
Top Bottom